2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
michaelbaranowski said:
I headed the other day that Gander Mountain now has Scuba dept. and that they have cheap tanks.

Or you can try the internet but then once once you get them you they are going to need a visual and you have to pay shipping so you might as well gotten then at a dive shop.

Last summer I bought two painted tanks and they were $169 a piece but I think unpainted AL are $159.
Buy the unpainted, preferrably bead blasted tanks.

Who worries about getting their tanks serviced? If they fail, you probably won't be around to take them for service. If you take care of them, you will end up getting years of service from any new tank, and any LDS should VIP and have hydro service for you. Valves typically don't need a whole lot of service, if you take reasonable care with them. Of course I service my own... :)

Now if you want Nitrox/Oxygen service tanks, you will need to look elsewhere, or have them cleaned probably. I bought two tanks on clearance at the old "JUMBO SPORTS" when they were going under. Now a regulator, or a computer??? I wouldn't recommend buying those anywhere but your local reputable shop, and certainly supporting a good shop has merits of its own! You can probably get a reasonable deal at your LDS if it's a decent shop (are there any left?). :D If you are buying 6, find someone that will work you a quantity deal. Buying 6 ought to get you something!

Good luck...

· Registered
371 Posts
scubaru said:
Dude,

VIP's, Hydros,& Fills, = getting tanks serviced
\

I have worked for and run several shops. I don't know a one that won't, as you say, "service" a tank from any customer that walks in. Maybe things have changed? Any shop that wouldn't is awfully short sighted, what with people moving from one area to another, receiving presents from someone else... inheriting gear from others... "Servicing" that gear is a great way to make new happy customers and a great way to boost profits! Inventory for providing that service is very cheap! (a lot cheaper than carrying an inventory of cylinders that often end up sitting around and being clearanced at closeout prices... or used as a "loss leader"). Cylinders are not usually a "high profit margin" item for dive shops... but are carried themselves as a service for customers.

JMHO... based on common sense and experience. :D

And yes, Dennis has always been A1 to me! I am all for doing business with dive shops whenever possible. It's darned hard to keep them around when people are buying their gear mail order or off the internet... or from general purpose sports stores that have no diving professionals on staff.

The purpose of my previous post was not to promote doing business elsewhere than the LDS, but to make sure something wasn't misrepresented.

Find a LDS that will readily and happily service gear purchased from other sources, and you will find a shop with a great attitude that deserves your future business! Buy from them and support them, so they are there when you need service later. Your local fire station may have a cheaper connection for hydro testing, but they can't help you with other dive equipment needs.

WS4F

· Registered
371 Posts
scubaru said:

Ok, so you feel the same way I do about doing business with your LDS vs. online. Last time I checked you couldn't drive over to LeisurePro and get a Hydro, VIP, or fill. I guess where you are misrepresenting your train of thought is the "Who cares about getting their tanks serviced?"

Anywho, get 'ya some bottom time and come up with dinner you'll feel better.

RU Out
Well, the terminology "service your tank"... was used in a way that sounded like it implied there was a lot more to be done with a cylinder and that there was some reason a shop wouldn't do it if the tank wasn't bought from them. That would be an insane practice for a dive shop, not that everyone in the dive business is sane! :rotfl:

The smart shop will service every piece of gear it can, regardless of where it comes from. Many repairs lead to new purchases, as well as provide an income stream for the repairs.

· Registered
371 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
1. didn't Kenlee's close last year?

2. if you go into WW Diving and tell them about buying stuff off the internet, they will likely have the same coronary ;)

it's a very small, equipment intensive sport. If you dive locally, it requires a local store to get gear serviced and buy air, etc. Don't get mad at a local store owner for defending his livelyhood.

you can't keep a local store open selling only lessons and air.
So... did Kenlee's close? What happened to Kenny Young? I never get over that way any more. Last I saw him he was dancing at a travel show... and looked great for a "survivor"!

Yes, dive shops, unfortunately have a degree of "overhead" that internet businesses don't have (overhead environment???). We are in danger of losing dive shops partly because of the competition of the internet "discounters" that don't care if you have a local dive shop for air and service. Part of the reason for failing shops though is poor attitude, treatment of customers, and poor service. It doesn't affect me much, but I hate to see good shops go away. Seems like the crummy ones hang on, although I am not intending to label any existing shop in that category. I know of only one I would not recommend at all. Interestingly, they also sell on the internet... or at least used to.

WS4F

· Registered
371 Posts
dryespo said:
Tanks are a commodity these days... I just picked a few up here in Dallas at Scubatoys (scubatoys.com) for 134
I bet most shops will negoatiate for 6 and most also will do an air card with it .
This goes again with my philosopy of staying close to home.
And every opportunity to fill your 6 tanks brings an opportunity for "point of purchase" sales even if nothing else.

· Registered
371 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
I don't know if Kenlee's closed or not. I don't ever get down that way anymore. I haven't seen Kenny or David Bullard in years.

I remember last year or so someone posting that KL's was having a going out of business sale"

I'm not dreaming this up - cause I wanted to go down to check out all the stuff from the back...the place was a frickin musuem of recreational diving history.
I know that Art and his shop closed last year, and he had some involvement with the Kenlees West years ago before buying Discover from Duncan.

The original Kenlees was a great place to poke around if you could get them to take you in the back! I used to refer them people when they were looking for obscur items... and David used to do repairs for another shop I worked at. Years ago I used to take gear to WW for repairs on equipment we didn't have parts for.

Gosh, it's tough to get old!

:biggrin:

· Registered
371 Posts
divin deep said:
after much debate and many phone calls, the 6 tanks where bought last night at ww diving in Humble. This was my first time in there and as I walked in I was shocked and awed at the amounty of gear that was in that store. Yvonne was very helpful and matched the lowest price I could find on the tanks. She did so good on the price that I ordered another Riffe Hawiian because the price was so good. I think I just found my new favorite LDS. I have been diving this area for 12 years now and didn't even know they where there, so I will have to give them the nod when someone asks which shop to go to.
Great to hear! I have always heard good things about them, and I had good dealings with them dating back to the R & R days. I need a great LDS like that near me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.