2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to tap into the infinite 2cool knowledge base

Im going to Cabo San Lucas Sept 3 for a week. Not the best time but sometimes you take what you can get. I have been there before, same time of year and fished with Solmar Fleet, got a 125# striped marlin and had several come to the spread. But that was then. Last time we did too many things and i want to concentrate on fishing more this time. My wife is going but may or may not fish, she would be content to lounge at the hotel and shop.

What I want is imput and suggestions:
1. Who to go with, Charter or Panga, or both. Im thinking about going over to La Platita by San Jose del Cabo and going with Gordo Banks Pangas, Captain Eric. But it is 30 miles away and we wont have a car. So its take a taxi. The fishing at gorda banks seems much better than cabo this time of year from what Ive read.
2. What tackle to bring.
3. Experiences good or bad, who to use who to avoid.
4. Tips hints tricks.
5. Will TSA let you bring back liquor as a carry on?

That should cover it for now.

Thanks in advance

Mike T

·
Registered
11 Posts
We are leaving 8-31 and coming home 9-5 this will be my 7th time in Cobo. We have a house rented in Pedergal. As for fishing we have always gone through Manervais. Two years ago when we were there we had 13 shots in one day at billfish. This trip we are going to rent a car and do some exploring up the coast. Im thinking about taking my spear gun and doing some hunting along the way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been to Cabo twice (going again this Oct.) fished from Panga's one day out of LaPlatita. Make sure the boat has life jackets. We didn't do very well @ Gordo Banks, but probably there at wrong season. Large sealion ravage the one tuna we caught. (Impressive sight with Huge sea lion on end of your line while you are in a 22' boat) Price for boat about $250.00. Really see no difference between super panga and panga except price.

We fished "Fly Hooker" and "Gueritas II" out of Cabo. Both seemed to be good charters, but we keep trying a different charter each time. The Fly Hooker is a 31' Bertram and the Gueritas II was a 32' or 34' boat. Both excellent rough water boats.
We rented both boats for $500.00/day, but we rented for 3 days on the Hooker and 4 days on the Gueritas.

We have never taken our own tackle. We have used the tackle provided, which has been pretty good, but the Panga stuff can be iffy.

good luck......I wish I were going with you in Sept. Oct is too long a wait.

Blue skies and calm seas.........t

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Just got back from Cabo a week ago. We caught 8 dorado and 4 stripes in two days. Biggest dorado was 75 pounds and the smallest was 40. I also fished with Solmar fleet. They are no longer owned by the hotel just so you know.

I say stick with the bigger boats if you want to concentrate on billfish.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have had great success with the EL Budster... http://www.elbudster.com/

Everything typically goes smooth and we always catch fish.... Last time out it was a full moon and all the boats were coming back with very few catches and we caught 4 Marlin, 3 Dorado, and 1 Hammerhead...

Good Luck

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just got back from Cabo on Sunday and will be posting a report later today. I went with Gueritta II and was very impressed. They started fishing 20 miles out while the rest of the fleet fished the normal in close spots. They got a call while that Tuna were under porpoises 15 more miles out and made the run out there. We ended up with a 70lb Yellowfin, 30lb Dolphin and 120lb Marlin. They fished hard for me and that's what I wanted. Only complaint is that the boat is not the fastest (17kn Cruise). But for the price they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We've been to Cabo many times over the past 10 years. The last 3-4 times we've used the private charter boat called Fish Cabo. The boat is an early 80's 42' Bertram. The capitan and mate (sometimes 2 mates) have been excellent, speak enough English, and always seem to find the fish. Last Christmas we landed 11 Striped Marlin the first morning. If you have the opportunity, go up the coast (west side) about 50 clicks to Todo Santos and visit the Hotel California (yes the Eagles Hotel California). Good luck.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Just got back from Cabo and went out on C-Rod with Pisces. Outstanding boat and outstanding captain and mate.

The only liquor you can bring as a carry on is the liquor you buy in the airport terminal. No liquids greater than 3 oz are permited past security. You'll have to check it unless you want to buy it at the airport.

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the imput so far. Booze can be brought back in your checked luggage, no carry on unless it is bought in duty free shop at air port.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts