2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants me to build one of those wooden playsets for my two youngest kids birthday. Something with at least a swing, slide and a fort. I know there are a lot of kits out there, but, I'm not really sure where to start. I'm pretty handy with wood, but, I was hoping somebody on here had some experience with them.

Should I buy a kit?
Should I just buy the plans?
Where's the best place to buy?
Any and all info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
my experience

We bought the high dollar one Toys-R-Us had and it didnt last much more than a year. A friend of ours had one of these and they are awesome. A little more expensive but at least you wont be hauling it off after one year like I did. If you want the kit Lowe's and Home Depot sell kits where you buy the lumber and DIY. That is a cheaper route if you wanna go that way. They have slides,swings, and other little things you can add to it. I thought I was done with these things but I was informed yesterday I will be getting another one next year. Ugh. lol I dont mind em but they are a pain to mow/weed eat around. Oh well, its all good.

http://www.rainbowplay.com/

Zac

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
I built my own. Used treated 4 x 6's to build 3 "A" frame frames. I have a 16', 4 x 6 cross beam, 3 swings, a small fort, a slide . . . . I spent about $600 total about 4 years ago. This is not a kit, I drew the plans myself and went at it.

I bought some heavy duty swings, not the stuff you see at Lowes or Home Depot. The place used to be off of 290 and Jones Rd but have recently moved. I am 230# and get on the swings with no problems.

My point is, if you do it yourself it will be much better than a kit. Some links for some ideas.

http://www.swing-n-slide.com/

http://www.byoswingset.com/

I recommend using these: But I used thru bolts w/ washers instead of the Lag screws shown.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
Like William I too built my sons when he was about small. It still stand tall out back. I've think of converting it into a deer blind it so well built and strong. I say think up your own idea and go for it. If the kids are big enough they will have a blast helping. Good Luck!
The top deck on the one my son and his buddies played on was 6x6. made of 4x4's,2x4's and decking. decking for the benches also.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Brad, I bought the hardware kit and wood from Sutherlands and built it myself. Pretty easy. It has a fort, slide, two swings and trapeeze. Stained it Redwood and it looks great. Did it about six years ago. I put a camo tarp on the fort and all the boys thinks it's cool. Come by and see it

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Willie:

That's pretty much the construction I'm looking for without the baby swing. How much did that one cost? How long di it take to build? Was it a pain?

·
I don't member much.
299 Posts
got one at academy. PIMA....Took for ever and still isn't as sturdy as I'd like. It has been up for over a year and is still functioning.

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
TXPalerider said:
Willie:

That's pretty much the construction I'm looking for without the baby swing. How much did that one cost? How long di it take to build? Was it a pain?
I built my own also, but that is a nice one Willie has. My BIL and I put one just like it up at my MIL's house. Two guys should be able to put that thing up in a day (or weekend). I would also suggest using a border like landscape timbers around the entire set, putting down a weed guard material, and filling it in with mulch or pea gravel. I have the tools and would offer to help, but I've got about 5 projects going on right now as it is.

·
Retired
1,590 Posts
I really can't remember just how much it cost but I think I have $500 to $600 in it. It came with a tarp for a roof but I added the wood roof. All the lumber has to be cut so that takes a little while. Just make sure you have a good drill. That thing must have a million screws. You might be able to put it together in a weekend if you really work at it. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
TXPalerider said:
William, do you still have your plans? I could probably design and build myself. I just don't know what dimensions to start with.
I do still have them, I'll have to look for them though.

Found them. I can send you a tif file, sorta like a pdf, or if you have CAD I can send you the dwg file.

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
We have a Rainbow Play System one with 2 swings, a rope swing, fort, gymnast bar, slide, faux telescope, steering wheel, etc.

Bought it as a demo unit 2 years ago from one of the stores. Retail $3200, I paid $2000 including taxes, and including installation. It also came with the full warranty.

I thought about building one, but after pricing similar woods types, swing and slide qualities, I think I came out cheaper in the long run.

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
This kit is from Lowes website for $165.97. You have to buy the lumber, which I would guess is another $300-400 more.

This up to 24.5 square foot multi-level (varies by design) play tower with up to 14 play activities has a budget range of $600 to $1,450 depending on project design, type of lumber and current market prices.
Builds in 4 to 10 hours (2 people, varies by design)
3 Design options
Kit Includes: Fully Illustrated Plans, (2) Swing Seats, (2 pair) Swing Hangers, (1 pair) Safety Handles, Multi-Color Tarp, all Brackets, Self-Drilling lag screws and hardware necessary
10-Year Limited Warranty
Meets or exceeds all ASTM requirements for Safety. (American Society of Testing Materials)

Attachments

·
not all pain is gain
286 Posts
went through the same thing

a couple of yrs ago, just looked all around the web, bought some 4x4, 4x6, misc brackets and hardware. Kinda fun project, plus if you do it yourself you can buy the swings, trapeze bar, etc you want from misc suppliers on the web. Don't skimp on the actual swing hardware, and be creative. Think monkey bars, table underneath the fort, climbing ropes or rocks and even electrical close by to hang a fan when they INSIST on camping in it.

2nd to bikes, ours gets more use than anything else in the house.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.