2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost new John Deere riding mower that was in my garage when it got flooded.The motor didnt go under water and the gas tank is water free.The wiring harness is shot and all wires that went under water have corroded and some have already come loose.The shops want more than I paid for the mower to install a complete new harness so I have ruled that out.Most of the wiring goes to the safety shutdown switches.Is it possible to tear out all the wiring ,do away with all the shutdowns,rig the key,battery and starter with new wires and go mow some grass.Has anybody ever done anything like this?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Capt.Cook said:
I have an almost new John Deere riding mower that was in my garage when it got flooded.The motor didnt go under water and the gas tank is water free.The wiring harness is shot and all wires that went under water have corroded and some have already come loose.The shops want more than I paid for the mower to install a complete new harness so I have ruled that out.Most of the wiring goes to the safety shutdown switches.Is it possible to tear out all the wiring ,do away with all the shutdowns,rig the key,battery and starter with new wires and go mow some grass.Has anybody ever done anything like this?
Is this one of the John Deere mowers from Home depot or the like or from a John Deere dealer. If it is from HD it is likely a MTD or AYP and Jacks Small Engines (do a search for the link) should be able to sell a replacement harness. If it is a real John Deere mower it is worth the cost and should not be any where near the price of the unit new.

The other option is to make a replacement harness yourself. Waytec (another search for link) can provide everything needed.

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Glen, I've got the same problem with mine. Bought it 4 weeks before Ike and like yours it was flooded. Called John Deere dealer and they wanted $1400 to fix it. I paid $1700. There's bound to be someone that can fix them for a reasonable price. Let me know if you find someone reasonable and I'll do the same. Someone on here mentioned a place on hwy 3, don't remember the name.

·
Registered
478 Posts
do nOt take it to brookside they su--. They told me yesterday 4-6 weeks for a commercial repair on a z-trac I purchased from them. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
Yes, you can eliminate most all the wiring. Just make sure you never loan it out or sell it. You could get in a terrible legal mess. Worse yet, how would your feel about causing a major injury to someone.

·
Registered
766 Posts
On Most Riders the ignition circuit still runs off a magneto, so it runs independent of the battery. If that's the case on yours, you should be able to wire a momentary switch to the starter, and then another for the circuit that grounds the spark to the case to kill it. about 5 wires all together. The hardest part will probably figuring out where the original kill wire is to disconnect it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts