2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has come up several times, but I would like some help with BBQ some baby back ribs or ribs in general. I have a nice pit with a firebox. I would like to cook some for Fathers Day. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Here's an idea I like. My sauce for ribs is not universal. It's much like my concoction for BBQ chicken....and it goes something like:

In a sauce pan, mix one small bottle catchup, four whiskey shots of worcestershire sauce, two whiskey shots of soy sauce, a big splash of lime juice and a half stick of butter. Heat pan until butter melts. Brush on rib slabs last after browning on the grill. Eat. CF?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Liberaly spread dark brown sugar on both sides of the baby backs & season with Celery Salt (and DO use CELERY salt!) let them set in the fridge for about 1 (or more) hrs. Use pecan wood on the pit & cook them, add a little C salt & BSugar as "needed" during the cooking . . . . .about 2-3+ hrs later (depending on the temps) . . . .That's some good eating!!!! The ribs are done when the meat pulls away / shrinks on the bone.

The ribs are pretty "clean" - not a lot of sauce mess & they taste great! As you try different "batches" of ribs, you will fine tune the amout of C salt & B sugar.

(edit to clean up spelling!)

Try it, you will like it!
Aggie91

·
Registered
582 Posts
Start with Borwn Sugar and Mix Black Pepper, Paprika, and Garlic Powder to taste

Rub the ribs with this mixture the night before and put in frig

Assuming you have an average size pit, start fire with about 7 pounds of charcoal

When the fire is going good it should be about 300 degrees

Cook for about 1 1/2 Hours adding pecan or oak as necessary to keep temp around 225 - 250

Wrap in tin foil and cook for another 1 1/2 hours at about 225

You may want to baste with combination of beer, orange juice and whatever else you want to add, but its probably not necessary

After cooking in foil for about 1 1/2 hours take out of foil

Put the ribs back on the pit, let the fire die and "finish" the ribs for about another 30 minutes to 1 hour or until they are like you like them

This is for spare ribs i have not tried baby back this way.............

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Make sure you peel the membrian off the inside or they will be very chewy....

John

·
Fins to the left, fins to the right
1,414 Posts
I use a similar brown sugar rub to the last one mentioned and smoke them in a combination of apple and mesquite for an hour then wrap em up in foil to finish for another hour. Now ya done went and made me hungry again

·
Registered
213 Posts
put ribs in a pyrex dish add liquid about one cup( 1/3 red wine vinegar-2/3 water) cover with alum. foil Bake at 325 45 minutes-baby back
1hr 15 min. -reg ribs
remove from oven dump liquid put on grill with smoking chips 15 or 20 minutes
then add sauce of your choice turning abd basting for another 30 min plus or minus (your taste) The oven vinegar make even cheap ribs tender--try it you will like it cant taste the vineger

·
Registered
57 Posts
cook open pit for 4 to 6 hours depending on size and how many, tempurture around 180 to 250 slow cook. take off pit you'll have good smoke smell and taste. OAK WOOD ONLY. wrap in tinfoil, cover with brown sugar and honey and what ever else you can find no salt, rap and very gently replace on pit 2 hours, a yea make sure to put the ribs meat side down. your finished product will be pull bone from meat, a cold beer and wallah. I did 8 racks of wild hog , for thanks giving. **** THE WERE GOOD.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
OK now dont tell anybody but brown sugar, terriaki sauce, pineapple juice, and honey, mix that all up and then cook the ribs for as long as it takes to get them near done. Began to baste them with the sauce. First place the ribs (after cooked) on top of foil in the pit and then baste with the sauce, both sides for a while. Then wrap ribs and finish them off. Its the best.

Charlie

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
My own rub, then naked for 1 1/2-2 hrs, then into foil for the remainder of time. I cook at 200-220 deg. for 4-4 1/2 hours. I use oak and pecan wood, just personal preference. If you are a sauce guy( I like mine dry), pull them out and put them back on naked and mop with sauce a couple times over a 20-30 min period. Will fall off the bone. This is for St. Louis style ribs, or spare ribs full cut. I don't do baby backs, too expensive I need at least one full rack for myself, lol.

No matter what sauce or rub you like make sure you cook them far at least 4 hours at a minimum of 200 deg. The sweet spot on the temp is 200-220deg.

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
I bought a sauce one time called ribs king wish i could still find it i would coat them in this sauce and then smoke them on low heat 200 to 250 for about 2 to 3 hours they were like candied pork.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Lately I've been cooking beef ribs. The ones I've been buying, I get from a local meat market. They are called "flanken ribs". They are very meaty and are done and tender after only 2 - 2 1/2 hours of "hot" smoking.

I baste mine with a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of Woody's Cook-in Sauce and honey. The "cook-in" sauce has the seasoning in it. Just baste it every time you turn 'em and quit basting the last 1/2 hour or so. Just be careful not to let the sauce burn.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Hey El Cazador, I did beef ribs for the first time in ages this past weekend. Man they were good, alot of bone, but if you find them on sale they sure are a nice change from pork. And they did handle a "hot" pit, since I was cooking on a strange pit this weekend in POC, no thermometer. I will add them to the menu for future cookouts.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Ain't never triied ta cuuk nun of them thar ribs, we alwayzs gave them to da doggs after we skinneded tha bull, dear or piggie.... shures do luuk likee sum gud ideers im reedin, mabe wee shud heet up tha briks and tri sum.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Deke is right on with the temps...don't go over 225 if you can help it. The pork fat will get chewy on you. Also, as stated before, make sure you take the membrane off. I too like the brown sugar, garlic, pepper type of rub. Sometimes I'll use a pre-mixed rib rub or something but I always start with the brown sugar...

Here's my twist...

After keeping them naked on the smoker (your preference between 30 mintues and 1 1/2 hrs) and then pull them off and wrap. I, however, wrap them in saran wrap first. This really helps keep the moistier in and makes them teeeeeender. After wraping in saran wrap then I wrap in foil so it doesn't burn. I'm telling you, this WILL make THE difference in making your ribs "slap yo' mamma" good :D.

TFM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.