2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know somebody is gonna wanna kick me in the butt for this, but my own foot is first.

I used to live in Harris County and was registered to vote there. Last place I voted was Channelview Highschool, so I am in their book. Trouble is, I have moved since the last time I voted to Galveston County, and changing my address with voter registration completely slipped my mind.

I don't have an old registration card (probably do, but it's packed in a box god knows where) I know there is a way to do this, I just don't know how. I know I'm still on the book in Channelview, but my driver's license now reflects my new address. HELP!! I need to vote in Early voteing because I'll either still be on the road, or in a motel in South Caralina on Nov. 2nd!

Kay:cool:
(the undisputed QUEEN of PROCRASTINATION!) LOL

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I could be wrong

But I am pretty certain that last election ( I had also moved) I went to the poll and wrote my name on the rolls and voted. I had my picture ID.

You can register to vote online at the DPS site. I think it is called texasonline.org or something like that.

I renewed mine this year and took care of some other personal business online there. They sent me a new voter card in the mail.

Check it out.

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I'm already registered to vote (in Harris County) so I have to reregister? not just change my address?

I think it's too late to register, and I know I am already registered in Harris. I just never put in a change of address because I forgot to.

Kay

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Kay - You'll want to go to the website for Galveston County and look for your county's rules. Most likely they will require something with your Galv. Co. address on it, in addition to your DL if your DL still shows your Harris Co. address. Then you will just write your name in like Troy said.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
You going to be around Channelview anytime soon? vote there. I use to do it after I had move, just stoped in my old woods and voted sinse I pass through there time to time. I've sense changed it though.

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, from the info I just read on the link Troy gave me I'll have to drive to Channelview to vote, and then it will be a limited vote since I reside in Galveston County now.

Apparently I DO have to reregister since I moved to a differant county. The address change is only good if you moved somewhere within the same county. And it would have to be done 30 days prior to the election. AUUUUGGGGG!!!! Dang me and my swiss cheese brain and procratination syndrom!!

Kay

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shaddy, I can't vote in Galveston County because I never reregistered after I moved.
This is from the link Troy gave me.

Voter Registration Name/Address Changes

This application allows you to file a name and/or address change in order to have your voter registration record updated. Any change(s) submitted through this application will be forwarded to your local voter registrar for processing and a new, updated voter certificate will be mailed to you within 30 days. If, after 30 days, you have not received a new voter certificate, you should contact your local voter registrar’s office. A change of name and/or address is not effective for 30 days. If you make this change less than 30 days prior to an election it will be necessary for you to return to your old polling location to vote.

You may only use this application if you still live in the same county you are currently registered. If you have moved and your new address is in a different county, it will be necessary to re-register by completing a new voter registration application. Please verify that your new address is in the SAME COUNTY you are currently registered in. This application will not get you registered to vote, it is for changes within the county of registration only.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Hmmm...interesting. Normally when you change your DL information, they automatically register you to vote in your new county. If I remember right, you have to opt out of it for them to not register you. Or maybe you have to opt in? I can't remember which, but it all on one form when you change your DL info. Do you remember telling them to not re-register you in Galv. Co.? You might already be registered there.

EDIT: Oops, I'm wrong. That's only if you change your address in person in the new county. If you sent it in by mail, it's not an option to automatically register you.

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't remember ever having the option given to me... my fault for not checking on this sooner then now.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Does that link just talk about registering? I'm thinking along the same line as Shadman. That you can show up at a voting site with your current address/license and vote. Maybe call the Galveston County folks to confirm?

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Registered but can't find card!

What if your registered and can't find card? If I'm hearing this right, all I need to do is go to my old polling place with my drivers license and I can vote?

Thanks............KC

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
kay, my mom and dad had not changed their address or re-registered since they moved down here this summer. when they called, it was too late to do an address change. they called the county they moved from and had voted last and had them mail them a "vote by mail" form. might be an option for you. my mother in law is still registered to vote in iowa, and she votes by mail also. GOOD LUCK!

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Trudy!!

I'll try that! Sounds like a definate winner to me!! When we going fishing? And who turned on this fan anyway?? Somebody unplug the thing!!

Kay:cool:

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
i kicked it in high gear and trying to get caught up on all the stuff im behind on since i was out of town for a few weeks. im using this HOT week to do get the boat ready, clean out my tackle box, you know.....all that stuff, and then I WILL BE READY TO HIT IT! short answer.....SOON lol and i cant wait!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.