2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Kamikaze
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for posting on BW Board but I need some assistance!

I replaced my battery, terminal connections, and fuse block. I think I fixed the accessory electrical issue, but now all I get is a clicking noise when I turn the ignition switch. I checked the kill switch and it seemed to test out fine. The tilt/trim works, but the motor will not turn over. I really need to get this fixed by Friday so I can go on the toy run. ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! I need a good boat electrician ASAP! Thanks

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
damnnn ....Im packin for a deer trip or Id come help..will be back tom night if it isnt fixed

·
Saved by Jesus Blessed by God
2,767 Posts
Check your starter see if its hung or if the hot cable to it
is corroded

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Really, really tighten your battery connection at the terminals. I had the same problem just clicking and mine was tight. Dont break it but tighten it a little more, that was my problem. 4 strokes take alot of juice to crank.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Tap that sucker a couple of times on the side with a hammer. Feel if the starter seems hot.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I had the same problem with a boat last summer, I'm 99% sure your problem is the battery cable it's either damaged or corroded. Take your battery and get a short battery cable or just use some good jumper cables and hook up the battery direct to the starter and see if it will turn over.

Matt

·
Alloy or Die
275 Posts
Check the MAIN FUSE on the motor . it will be like 150 AMPS .

Be VERY careful JUMPING voltage around , remember you have a Computer on your motor that you can FRY in a heart beat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As said in previous post, check the leads from the battery to the starter.
Also, check your contacts especailly the ground, Clean them up like brand new. Both on the battery and the starter. Don't get confused on measuring the Volts. 12 volts is good but if you can not pass the AMPS you wont get anywhere. Any minor corrosion can inhibit the current to pass and can cause excessive heat on the terminals which can then create another host of problems.
Good luck

·
Kamikaze
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned the terminals with a dremel tool and abrasive disk, and replaced the accessory power lug. The connections at the starter are like new and the fuse is good. By the way, the motor is a Merc Saltwater Classic, so theres probably no computer on it. I'm going to do some more testing today to see if I can get it fixed. Last night I turned the key and got a split second starter engagement, so that was encouraging.

·
If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
1,246 Posts
CAT, I had a problem with the negative cable where it went to a common terminal post. In other words check all your black wires also. I took them off cleaned em with a steel brush and put electrical oxide inhibitor on em and the engines fired right off. You really couldnt see much corrosion at all

Just another place to look. you are getting good advice already, I bet its a cable/connection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you charge the new battery ? Try putting high amp charger on battery then turn key. If that doesnt work take off starter see if it will spin off battery charger. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Could it be a defective starter solenoid? I've had the problem a few times, replaced the part, and vrooom, fired right up. Curiously, we were able to get the solenoid at a NAPA automotive shop, saved a bunch of money. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Could it be a defective starter solenoid? I've had the problem a few times, replaced the part, and vrooom, fired right up. Curiously, we were able to get the solenoid at a NAPA automotive shop, saved a bunch of money. Good luck.
Patrick....

I was just going to suggest that you replace the solenoid. I get mine at Carquest for about $10 - 12. It takes minutes.

Nothing ventured.

Sometimes the solenoid will pass what seems to be enough voltage but may not be.

B

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would remove the starter from the motor just to be sure the gears aren't bindind up or the bendix is stuck and try jumpering it on the ground if it doesnt spin replace the starter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts