2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a wealth of help out in the 2cool world.
I am looking at getting an nice older luxury sedan. I am looking at a BMW 740 or a 540 with the 8 cy. engine. The other sedan is the Lexus LS 400.
I am looking at 1996-2000 year models. Anything from say 80,000 to 120,000 miles on them.
What should I look out for on each of these models?
Thanks for the help.
DC

·
Jedi Knight and Friend to Captain Solo
17,027 Posts
With the Bimmers, have the cooling system checked, particularly the water pump. Timing belts and alternator as well. These cars go through front brake pads and tires purty quick, so that would be an obvious and easy check. It would help if you know a good private BMW mechanic before even thinking of one.

On the Lexus, just find the lowest mileage car that you can with maintenance records. One that has the original wheels and doesn't smell like coconut inside is a plus. ;)

·
Banned
579 Posts
I love BMW's

but, I think I would go for the Lexus in a used car with the age and miles you describe. Lexus is pretty much bullet proof and you should easily get 200K out of one which has been maintained.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Uncle is a mechanic and has told me to stay away from these esp any with electronic suspension, replacement shocks or struts alone can run $600+ each.. It’s the small expected repairs that are costly, so keep in mind even though they are cheaper to purchase there will always be an luxury maint expense that doesnt get cheaper with age.

·
Still trying to figure it all out
10,501 Posts
Buy the Lexus. One of the best decisions (for me) my father-in-law ever made was when he traded his Lexus for a BMW. After that he pretty much stayed at the service department of the BMW dealership and left me to run the business...........

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
Neither IMHO. Both cars cost big bucks to fix and you want to buy a high mileage unit? Hope you have really deep pockets for repairs. If you have to do it, I would go Lexus.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had been looking at the Lexus because I have heard about the reliability of that engine. A BMW 740 had came up for sale and I was checking it out.
thanks for all of the info.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
My mom has a 1996 Lexus LS400. It was low miles when she got it in 2004 and it now has about 80,000 miles and drives like a dream.

If you can find one for about $8-10K with a clean carfax report, jump all over that!!!

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Yugo. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I like your way of thinking. I have sworn off new cars forever. When Im done paying off my 06 F150, I will never have another vehicle payment again. As for your choice, I like the older BMWs, but the maintenance costs are probably higher than the Lexus. Ive been told that a Lexus is nothing more than a Toyota with leather seats.:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts