2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this posted on another forum, but not getting any responses...so, I hopeing someone here can help.

I have a new 2005 SeaCraft with a Merc 150. The boat leans A little more than I like to the starboard side when running on plane. (this is not your P-Factor - prop rotation lean). Also, if I trim the boat up just slightly, it will start to porpoise. I do not have trim tabs, yet...but believe this may be another issue which needs to be adjusted. The boat runs out fine in the speed dept., but more "lean" than should be there. The trim guage never gets trimmed up more than 1/8 of the way up from full down before it starts porpoising.

Any help???

·
Firm Member
1,966 Posts
A doel-fin will correct it if everything is installed correctly, otherwise it may magnify the list to starboard.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
if your boat was not hand-laid fiberglass, and a chopper gun was used instead, the hull could have some weight inefficiencies where one side of your boat weighs 50lbs more than the other... manuf defect maybe

i dont know how a seacraft is made and if they use a chopper gun it is probably a pretty big secret, not a very marketable way to build a boat but it is a cheaper process and requires much less skilled labor

i hope they hand lay the hull, but thats just an honest opinion

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i had the same problem your having but just the other way round.i ran a
2100cc hydra-sport and would lean,it didnt porpose just lean.it only leaned if trimed all the way in,to correct lean all i did was trim out.i think i ran motor on the 3rd hole,the more trim i gave the better it got.also i had a turbo-lift on it,225 evinrude limited edition.
i know this didnt help you.someone will reply.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree with the other on the weight issues. The porpoising could be nothing more than the engine needing to be changed to a different hole. In general, your anti-cavitation plate should be level with the bottom of the boat.

Victor

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Check the motor sounds too deep to me. May be need to raise it up like someone said above check the cavitation plate and see if its even with the bottom of the boat.

Charlie

·
Registered
884 Posts
any chance you have more than one battery in the transom and installed on the starboard side?

·
Registered
746 Posts
A chopped boat isn't uneven enough to cause this kind of problem. FYI, the chop glass used on a boat is basically on the skin against the gelcoat and between layers of woven roving. 90% of the strenght comes from the hand laid woven roving. Hand laid is better in most cases but just because your boat is hand laid doesnt mean it is done right. Or just because it is chopped doesnt mean it is done wrong.

Sorry for getting off topic. :)

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the imput... I'll check the motor mount and see if it's too low (I think it might be). As for chopper/mat fiberglass, as mentioned above...the resin weighs more than the glass...so hand laid mat boats can have issues too...fyi - there is no chopped glass in a SeaCraft

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
SeaCraft said:
Thanks for the imput... I'll check the motor mount and see if it's too low (I think it might be). As for chopper/mat fiberglass, as mentioned above...the resin weighs more than the glass...so hand laid mat boats can have issues too...fyi - there is no chopped glass in a SeaCraft
It's a great boat, quality built.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
looks like a solid built boat, gonna have to check them out this week at the boat show

i wasn't pickin on the boat just offering some advice from experience

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wasn't thinking you were...just thought I would pass some info. Not too many people around here know about SeaCraft. Yea...I'm a Yankee...and they are very popular boats used in the New England area (and Florida) for just about anything (nearshore, offshore, and all around fishing). And believe it or not...the 20' is the most popular. Handles just about any seas you want to be out in.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
if you are in houston area take it back to bass pro shop and have them take care of your problem. they are the manufacturers of the sea craft boats since the late 90's.....rick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Super D nailed it. That boat has a really deep V which is good... I bet it handles the rough well. But it also not flat enough to stay perfectly stright up.

Your problem is most likely trim tabs.

You didn't mention the size of your4 boat?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another possibility is having trapped water in the hull laying on the starboard side if a natural drain is plugged in a stringer. I've seen that before and it can make the boat lean to the starboard side. May need to use a flash light and or small tv camera to look under the floor and around fish boxes to check the stringers. This can particularly happen if the fish box is drained to the hull and not through a pump.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
to much weight in the back of boat will make it porpose,also add trim tabs and some tye of turbo-lift,the trim tabs will help the most.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Tabs should not be used to compensate for other problem areas. Rather, they allow for a much better ride in different head seas, keeping the nose down. Granted shifting weight around the boat will affect how it runs (cause porposing), or leaning. The best example would be putting a couple of big bodies in the back, you might not be able to plane (personal experience). But a boat, minus the outside influenisus, should run straight and level. Even a deep vee hull.

Victor

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GOSTOMSKIJ...I could not agree more. The last thing I would do is start throwing items at a boat like this...I am certain that the engine is mounted a notch too low after hearing from those with experience on here. Tabs should be nothing more than a fine tuning device...not one used to correct obvious issues which may be nothing more than a slight tweak here or there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts