2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.RipCharts.com
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good map software that can import and export waypoints and routes. I also want it to overlay my waypoints and routes over highly detailed maps.

Anyone have one that they use that they would recommend? I really like using google earth, but it won't allow route creation and export from the PC back to the GPS unit (mine is a garmin 178C + Sounder).

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
Have you looked at Garmin's Mapsource? I don't know if it works with the 178c but it has a very detailed map and when you download your waypoints and tracks it overlays them into the map, you can even plan out a route with it using the route making tool.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
I think you have to have the corresponding software for whichever brand GPS you own. It has to convert the info into the particular GPS format per brand. PM Capt John or jtburf they might know more.

·
Super Moderator
3,735 Posts
I'll take a copy of Capt Black's GPS waypoints....I am sure they are all on the local HotSpot maps but heck, send them anyway!! Allways good to have some old and wornout throw down numbers just in case! :rotfl:

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I have Maptech's Terrain Navigator with the Texas maps from several years ago. Are you needing base maps to overlay GPS data? If so you should look at it. It is not as good for highways as it is for terrain features. The highways are there but not in the detail you would see in a trip planning software package.

You can download GPS routes and waypoints or upload information to your GPS. I used it to make and print deer lease maps with boundaries, roads, and stand and feeder locations.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
For the Garmin your best choice is MapSource's BlueChart. They are now up to version 8.0 or 8.5 and the maps are very accurate and up to date. In addition you can move, manipulate, generate and do just about anything else you want to with the data and your Garmin. EasyGPS, ExpertGPS and Waypoint Utility can do a lot with conversions between units. Check them out at their sites.

Good luck and come see us this week at the Summer Boat Show in Houston's Reliant Center.

·
Banned
896 Posts
Gps

Angler Products and Breakwater Marine @ Summer Boat Show
Come see us in booth 658 at the Houston Boat Show in Reliant Center today thru Sunday. we have lots of neat equipment and some great show specials. Breakwater is now carrying lautomotive GPS units that can help you get out of dodge when the next evacuation occurs.

Angler Products will load the hotspots you buy free at the show. And we're also offering some great show specials.

Come by and say hello.

Capt John

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Does anyone have Nav Blue Chart? I know of a crack that will allow you to use it on multiple GPS's but I don't have the software to actually see if it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts