2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No too long ago I stumbled upon the Texaskyakfisherman.com web sight along with Mikesreerepair.com. I looked at them for a couple days with no problems. The other day I go to check these pages and my computer will not let me access them. I just get a blank Internet explorer screen with the word "Done" in the left bottom. I know the sights are up and functioning because I accessed them from my parents computer the other day just to see. Why has my computer blocked these sights out but everything else functions normally? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
if their sites are running slow or your computer is loading slower than normal it may take longer to load up, give it a few minutes and see what happens. Sometimes servers get slow. Mont has put alot of work into this one so it is pretty fast now. We did used to have some of these problems here too though.

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Check the links your using, they're both misspelled in your post.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not that the sight is loading slow, my browser thingy in the upper right "waves" as if the page is being loaded, then it goes to the blank page that says "Done" in the lower left hand portion of the screen. The sights were accessed just fine a few days ago on my parents computer so I know the sights are up and running. As for the misspellings, I appoligize, I actually had both sights saved under favorites and was accessing the sights via this method until these problems occurred. I have tried umpteen Google searches and try clicking on the same links that I have always used and it still won't let me get to these sights. Its like my browser has blocked these two sights for some reason. Spyware and Norton have been run and it shows nothing. Still perplexed! Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Go to Tools - Internet Options - Security - Internet and set to "Medium Low" and see if you are still having the issue. If you are, check Tools - Popup Blocker and select "Turn off Pop-up Blocker". If that still doesn't work, turn off Yahoo! toolbar and/or Google toolbar and try again.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
what operating system (winxp?..use a restore date)
what browser (if internet exploder..download firefox)

clear out your temp files

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still doesn't work. I tried the pop-up blocker and lowering the security feature. Also did a microsoft update. Oh well, tired of messing with it. Just strange why I can't get onto these sights all of a sudden when all of the others work as they always have.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is Firefox and how would I try it? I really don't like all of these online things that you have to install on your PC, what will it do if I install the Panda thing? It seems that the more **** you download off of the internet the more it corrupts your files and bogges your computer up. Will it have any ongoing effect if I do the Panda scan, other than probably getting like 5 emails a day from them???

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just tried Texas Fishing Forum and it will load the page but won't let me open any of the specific threads. Does the same thing that I have been posting about earlier. Man I hate computers, its only a matter of time before being bitten with all of the **** floating around on the internet.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Panda is a online virus scanner...I think your infected.

Firefox is a web browser. It is safe and far more secure than internet explorer. IE uses activeX, and that allows for so many computer troubles.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ is the download, I would not surf without being secure.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill,

I ran the Panda scan yesterday. Not one trace of anything detected. My computer is running great, no bogging or pop-ups. The only thing it is doing is blocking me from opening these few web pages I previously mentioned. Its like my browser has blocked the IP address for these sights. Any suggestions or additional scans that I could try? PS - I had Spysweeper and Norton installed by the Best Buy technicians when I purchased the computer. No problems other than a few traces of stuff removed every now and again. I'm lost???????

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
hummm, well do you have a firewall? Could it be blocking the sites?

If firefox did not open the pages then any chance they blocked you?

Nortons will block some sites, check settings there.

Check for a file named HOSTS with no extension (not Hosts.sam). It may be a hidden file. Open it with Notepad and remove any line referencing the site.
Or, rename HOSTS to OLDHOSTS

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hummm, well do you have a firewall? Could it be blocking the sites?
No, I don't have a firewall of any type. Nothing has changed over the last year since I bought the PC, just unable to open these web pages out of the blue.

If firefox did not open the pages then any chance they blocked you?

I don't have firefox, maybe they blocked me but for what reason? Sort of strange I would think. I'll check my Norton settings.

Check for a file named HOSTS with no extension (not Hosts.sam). It may be a hidden file. Open it with Notepad and remove any line referencing the site.
Or, rename HOSTS to OLDHOSTS

I think your getting way over my head. How do I check for this file? Do I just do a search for the file? I'll try a search and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the suggestions Bill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts