2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a book for input into my plotter, but wanted to see which book everyone here found to be better. I see Hilton offers one and Rik offers one. Which one do most here find accurate and most helpful/productive?

Thanks!

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
Get both. There's no such thing as having too many options offshore.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Did you date only one girl while you were in High School? Of course not.

So, why limit yourself to only one offshore publication. For the price I would buy both books. I would also buy Carl Christoph's book. When you consider the cost next to your boat/motor investment it's cheap. Money well spent in my opinion.

Then, I would get all the Top Spot GOM maps in the area your going to fish. These also have GPS numbers in them.

Also, try trading beer to shrimpers for GPS numbers and not for shrimp. Some good spots can be had this way.

You can't have too much fishing data.
Lumberjack93

·
Firm Member
1,965 Posts
B4B, It took me like 3 minutes to figger what ya said. LOL

·
Now all I need is a Bucket
669 Posts
Rik all the way; Have yet to see a bad # in his book

·
Registered
746 Posts
I own bofem but would not get carried away with all the spots being good numbers......just ain't so. You have to remember that the numbers get fished for quite a while before they make it into the book so you have to work at it still.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tall1fin said:
I own bofem but would not get carried away with all the spots being good numbers......just ain't so. You have to remember that the numbers get fished for quite a while before they make it into the book so you have to work at it still.
Yeah, I have taken that into account. I don't really want to spend $120 and spend the time inputting a bunch of numbers for spots that have been fished very hard. I was looking to spend enough for 1 book and try some of the spots and see what happens. I guess one book is just as good as the other.

Does Rik's book just cover Galveston/Freeport or does his book have some Port A spots as well?

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
As expensive as offshore fishing is, why buy only one book. Hell, as much as you spend on boat, tackle, bait, fuel and ice, what is another $60 to have both books.

·
Banned
594 Posts
Call Rik directly.
281-545-2463.
He is alway more than willing to advise his customers about routes and productive areas. Of couse with fishing season in full swing, it is not always easy to reach him.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Reel Deal Fountain said:
I don't really want to spend $120 and spend the time inputting a bunch of numbers for spots that have been fished very hard.
Then save your money and spend it on fuel finding your own. ($120 wont buy too much fuel).

Ric's book is verified and accurate. If you can read a bottom machine you are going to see a "mark" at Ric's spots.

Tom's book has LOTS of spots. I think Tom edits out spots he has reliable info that are not there, but he doesn't verify them like Ric. Many of Tom's spots are good (the mark is there). Some are not.

Carl Cristophs book I believe is a one time publishing. It has some good spots (you will find some better known spots in all three books) but many of Carl's gps numbers are "calculated" or converted from Loran. They are a little harder to find sometimes.

I own all three, plus hotspot maps, plus some unpublished numbers, plus I have marks all over my chartplotter of rigs and pipes that I've found keepers on (yes they exist), sea turtles, dolphin just "hanging out" etc. etc. etc.

The further out a spot is, especially out of Ric's book, the more likely it is going not to have been slammed. The seven or eight days of glass we had a couple weeks ago let lot's of little boats get out and get on good action but the inshore spots are probably worked over pretty good.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Based on your criteria of not wanting to spend $120 or inputting a bunch of numbers, I would highly suggest Rik's book for bottom numbers. There will still be a lot of numbers but most of them will be there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts