2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I have a 20 Bayhawk and am going to have to replace the 2 batteries on board. Any advice on the type of batteries I should get. I do have a perko switch for the batteries. And what type of charging device do I need or should I have. Right now I use a regular car charger, but someone told me that I was hurting the batteries by charging to fast. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
poc-ed

·
Old School Proud
550 Posts
You didn't mention what the batteries would be used for such as cranking the engine or deep cycle for a trolling motor. Most marine batteries are rated as dual purpose. You should consider the CCA, Reserve Capacity ratings and how much do you want to spend for these batteries.

My recommendations are Interstate Batteries.
http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/interstate/Interstate_Marine_Battery.shtml
This company makes the reasonably priced Marine / RV, 12v Volt, Deep Cycle, Cranking Sealed Lead Acid Battery and the expensive Optima Blue Top Deep Cycle Marine Battery, both of which are very good batteries and available at Sam's or Wal-Mart.

You also didn't mention if your battery charger will be mounted on board or portable. I recommend the Schumacher 1500 portable charger.
http://store.schumachermart.com/ssc-1500a.html
This charger is capable of charging the three types of batteries such as the lead acid, deep cycle, and the AGM gel cells w/a built in current limit function so as not to "cook" your battery. It is also is available at Wal-Mart.

Another device I recommend is the Schumacher BT-100 battery tester.
http://store.schumachermart.com/bt-100.html
To properly test a battery, it needs to be loaded while measuring the voltage and this tester will do both, a bit expensive but worth the money IMO. Good luck w/your decision.

Attachments

·
The Rod Man
621 Posts
I have a 24V trolling motor and use the Walmart Maxx Deep cycle batteries. I use an onboard Dual Pro 20 AMP charger that stays connected when the boat is in storage. I have had these going on 2 years and they are still going strong. The batteries have an 18 month free replacement warranty, not prorated. I have a friend who uses these batteries in Bass tournaments and he claims they are great as well as the warranty. Good Luck,

Pods

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm running Optima blue tops for the first time and so far I love them. They hold a charge better than any other battery I've used. They maybe a little expensive but they will outlast regular lead acid...which means fewer replacements.....which means it evens out in the end.

I also use the Basspro XPS 5x5x5 charger. No problems there either. Seems to be a good product so far.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow!!! I am on information overload. Capt. Harold, thanks so much for your input, I am going to be looking into all the sites you put in. My batteries are for 1 cranking and starting the motor. and the second is the backup. I dont have a trolling motor, but when I am onthe water I have my fishfinder/gps, stereo, aerator for bait well, and running lights and bilge.
The charger I want would have to be portable, because there just isn't any more room to mount it under the console. Thats where the batteries are located.
Pods, and BoD, I am looking into the two batteries you both suggested also, I have not checked Walmart yet and The Optima is at Academy I believe.
So I have some research to do this weekend.
Thanks for the help, I will probably have more questions later.

poc-ed

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Consumer reports had a report this year on best rated batteries.

I now for cars they picked one of the Walmart brands but not sure on the Deepcycle side. Have the Walmart in Seadoos, truck, and tractor with no problems.

Will see if I can find the report.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts