2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
laid up here in a country state of mind
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My finace was in a wreck last monday. The clown that hit her had no insurance. I need a reccomendation on a attorney in the Houston area. She has some injuries that are gonna cost us. Car is totaled. We had insurance on the car so it will be taken care of, but you know how it goes. Please post or PM. Thanks 2cool!

·
There's no time like overtime!
8,926 Posts
Did you have uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance policy?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm no attorney, but I do know that if the other driver had no insurance, it's your fiance against him, in a civil court. She'll more than likely win, and a judgement will be issued, however, unless the other driver has assets or $$$, that's where it pretty much ends. That's why the state has made the laws much tougher for no insurance, scums like this have no business on the road.

Sorry to hear about her misfortune.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
No attorney either...

but my wife was in a similar case. If the guy had no insurance, and your fiance did not have uninsured motorist protection, you're probably wasting your time and money with an attorney. He probably does not have any assets she can get her hands on. Wages and homesteads are protected. IIRC, one can have one vehicle per licensed driver and $30,000 in private property protected also. You might want to do a little research on asset protection in Texas. And there are a lot more uninsured folks out there than you think.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
ALWAYS get the uninsured motorist protection when YOU get the insurance.
Don't expect to get an attorney to represent you on a contingency basis unless 1) you have an iron-clad slam dunk case AND 2) the other party has DEEP pockets.

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we do have uninsured coverage. I guess we will see what happens. I am pretty sure he has nothing to go after. It was hard to see a really nice new mustang trashed by a beater old accord..............i really wanted to kick his face in, but the cops were around........

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Check your policy for Personal Injury also. Frustrating as it is, your best bet for financial recovery of any kind is with your own policy. If he has anything to get, your insurance company will probably try to get it after they pay you. Good Luck.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
Get the judgement if need be. It will be on file at the courthouse and will affect their ability to get credit and other related services. The fact that it shows on their credit may prompt them to eventually pay. Don't let it go.

You may still require an atty to deal with your uninsured coverage as they sometimes don't want to pay what your owed. Have seen problems like this before.

If your little lady needs care, be sure to get to get if for her first and foremost.

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
Getting a judgment will be easy. Collecting will be very difficult. Keep that in mind before you spend a chunk of change on a lawyer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you have uninsured and PIP on your policy, your should be OK..Forget going after the other party. You insurance compnay will after they square up with you...

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the good advice. I have to compliment State Farm. We already have a check for the car and it is very very fair. The PIP is already rolling and life moves on. They are going after the lowlife and we are taken care of. So now time to start looking for the next stang!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts