2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made some scrapes around two of my stands and i put Rampage dominant buck urine in them, but i need a good gel or scent to use on the licking branch . This is the first time i have tried this so any info is very appreciated.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
I'm thoroughly convinced that scent products don't work. Plus I think it is to early to start making scrapes.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I agree

I don't have alot of faith in scents either. I have tried them all. The only one I have ever seen work at all was Active Scrape. I saw a 6 point paw in and urinate on a mock scrape I built with Active Scrape. But that was the only time I ever saw any evidence they work at all over lots of years time. I think using them actually hurts your hunting, especially if you use to much or the wrong one. I just hunt with the wind in my favor and use common sense. I think scents are made to catch hunters money. I have seen Bucks snort-flag-fly as soon as they catch wind of Tinks69. I have used cover scents and been winded far worse than not using them. It is just my opinion, but save your money and hunt right with the wind. Use a natural cover scent, like some cedar berries you pick yourself. They work great. Or set your stand around some cedars if you can. I have been experimenting with pure Mexican Vanilla, it seems to be showing some promise as an attractant and a cover scent.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had the same opinion as most of these guys until a couple of years ago. I used some excite produced by whitetail resaerch I think and it is out of this world. It is thick like honey and the bucks go nuts over it if you use it the right time of year. It needs to be when the bucks are actually rutting. Don't mistake this with rubbing because as their horns harden they will start splitting out of their bachelor groups and the testosterone will make them get aggressive and rub trees and maybe even make scrapes. But you will know when they really go into rut. You still have to watch the wind and all of your other scent because if you walk up to a tree and put out scent but pumped gas with the same boots on earlier that week then they will snort and run off from your scent station but not because of the scent but because of the gas.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
I have used the sents and do think they work. I use the trails end over here in east tx. I was walking a road a year or so ago with a sent rag tied to my leg dragging it. And when the buck came busting through the woods not ten foot from me I almost didn't have time to pull the trigger on him. He wanted a piece of the doe in a bad way and I wasn't going to be that doe.LOL I make fake rubs and scrapes way away from my area a get the other hunter to stay in that area.Also another good thing to suck them in is use some mallassas<sp> on a old dead stump or piece of rotten wood, pour it all over it and let it soak in the deer really like it.
For a cover sent I use a weed that grows natural in the area . don't know the name but it has a real piney smell and it even hides you from squitoes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies . I think i will leave the branch alone . I have a camera set up facing one of the scrapes maybe i will be able to post pictures this weekend if we dont get a major storm . To answer the question where am i hunting . I live in Jacksonville ,FL . That is in N.E Florida .

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
I've always carried an apple with me, cut in half and stuff in each pocket. I've also run the cut side of the apple across the soles of my boots. The rest of that stuff, I feel is more to attract the hunters money.

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
A little early for a moch scrape isn't it.....

If I'm wrong please correct me, but last time I checked that was a bit alter in the year, like November and December?

·
Banned
299 Posts
bbridges said:
A little early for a moch scrape isn't it.....

If I'm wrong please correct me, but last time I checked that was a bit alter in the year, like November and December?
It depends on what part of the state. In east Texas they start making rubs in late September and scrapes shortly there after. Full on Rut will be late October to early November.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bridges . I watched a show that Ted Nuggent did and he was talking about keeping scrapes going year round . Just thought i would try something different .Last year we had an early rut mid September and the last phase was in the early part of January.This was a shock to us but when doe week came and we were dressing out game we were shocked by the size of the offsring we saw 'hope that explains my point ' didnt want to gross anyone out . We also told this to a biologist who confirmed our theory they went into rut early sometime in mid September .Im always trying to better my chances in the woods sometimes i have success sometimes i waste alot of money .

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Rut

Where I hunt the major rut occurs every-year like clockwork on the first falling full-moon in November, or if it is a last few days moon in Oct. they will go then. I have been watching this for 12 years now and it is almost written in stone. I hunt way North of most of you up on the red river. I think they rut later in the hill country. In my notes I keep, the weather, hot or cold, has very little to do with it. Its the lenghth of the daylight and the moon cycle that is the major factor.

·
Banned
299 Posts
Sea-Slug said:
Where I hunt the major rut occurs every-year like clockwork on the first falling full-moon in November, or if it is a last few days moon in Oct. they will go then. I have been watching this for 12 years now and it is almost written in stone. I hunt way North of most of you up on the red river. I think they rut later in the hill country. In my notes I keep, the weather, hot or cold, has very little to do with it. Its the lenghth of the daylight and the moon cycle that is the major factor.
That's pretty much what I have seen all through east Texas. From Huntsville to where I hunt now by lake Sam Rayburn. And then you will get another rut a month later when the doe's that didn't mate come back in heat again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im hunting in North east florida , jacksonville. Today i got a chance after all the storms we had to go in the woods . One of the scrapes I made had 2 sets of tracks in it and dirt moved . On the game camera I put at the spot took pictures of 3 large does , one doe with twin button bucks,and a large spike . I called my buddy in to see the spot where the scrape was and see the tracks in the scrape .He was shocked and said he couldnt believe what he was seeing . I guess it pays to try something new . Now all I need is for a buck to start maintaining the scrape later on . The deer that visited the scrape left droppings in it and around the outter edge .Also to reply to Sea Slug the rut up to last year was like clock work for us also .It always happened around the third week in October but last year it took a change we all couldnt figure out why we werent seeing bucks chase does and come doe week we got our question answered .I set my camera up facing the scrape to see how much activity it gets .

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Let Us Know

Let us know how it works out for you. I am always willing to try something new. Post up the first pics you get of a good buck working it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh trust me i will .I am excited to see what happens at this spot . I am gonna try to post some pictures this week .Hey if you have any suggestions or trick im all ears .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts