2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be in Galv on the 29th and 30th and want to try surf fishing for trout and macks. I fish off the N Jetty a lot from a boat but havent fished the surf. We are going to be around the Jamaca Beach and west sea wall area. I hope the water is good and calm. Are the fish actually in the guts? I have a way to keep live bait. I havent actually ever found a gut there while swimming. Thanks for the help. Im thinking a shrimp with popping cork.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with live shrimp. Red plastics with a white tail are usually popular in the surf as well.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
Don't forget 1/2 ounce gold and silver spoons can be deadly in the surf too. If the mackerel are thick, you will want a steel leader to avoid being broke off. Otherwise, a shock leader and barrel swivel (to prevent line twist) should do the trick.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I have a lot of diff baits from jetty fishing but should I target the deeper gut only or is that just a starting point? BTW if anyone is going that morning I wont mind the company.

·
Banned
682 Posts
ar_mcadams said:
thanks, I have a lot of diff baits from jetty fishing but should I target the deeper gut only or is that just a starting point? BTW if anyone is going that morning I wont mind the company.
Don't know about the Galveston area, but my buddies down in Surfside have been catching specks in the first gut in about knee deep water for the last week or so. I finally figured out after years of experience that deeper and farther out don't always mean more/bigger fish, and right now if you fished deeper you'll probably end up with more small blacktips than anything.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
If your going to be staying at J Beach... Head down towards SLP and fish the 1st and second gut between the water tower and SLP... If you want to use live, get some shrimp or if you want to save some money, Take your cast net.. There are finger mullet everywhere and this time of year, its hard to beat for trout and reds and macks in the surf... As someone else noted.. Dont forget the silver spoons......

Thomas

·
Banned
682 Posts
Texxan1 said:
If your going to be staying at J Beach... Head down towards SLP and fish the 1st and second gut between the water tower and SLP... If you want to use live, get some shrimp or if you want to save some money, Take your cast net.. There are finger mullet everywhere and this time of year, its hard to beat for trout and reds and macks in the surf... As someone else noted.. Dont forget the silver spoons......

Thomas
Yeah forgot about the spoons, for some reason I always have better luck with the gold instead of the silver, guess it's because whenever I go the water turns from crystal clear to mud lol. Last time me and dad hit the surf there was so much bait in the water it was ridiculous, you could have closed your eyes and thrown a net and come back with a net full. Only thing that worked that day was live shrimp.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
ar_mcadams said:
For some reason, I usually catch Specks right behind where the first set of breakers start coming in from the gulf. With the current conditions, this should be on the up slope closest to the beach in the first gut. This is good, because you can cast up the beach and work more fish holding water with each cast.

Try this first to see if it is working. If not work your way out from there.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts