2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Penn 9/0 senator leftover from my surf fishing days and now that I have a boat that can do a little offshore action, I want to put it on a boat rod. I don't imagine I will use it that much but would like to put it on a decent rod for under $100. I have been looking at the Penn Senator rods and I have a question about the advantages of having all the guides as Aftco roller guides as opposed to just the first guide and the tip as roller guides? Is it better to have all roller guides or is just the 2 ok?

Or any other reccomendations for rods for this reel (preferrably under $100 or right at it). The penn rod I am looking at is 60-80#.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I much prefer the all roller rods. Seems to be much less drag and wear on the line. But unless you look at a used one somewhere it might be hard to find one under $100. Be sure and keep the rollers lubed and rolling.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
CaptnBob said:
I much prefer the all roller rods. Seems to be much less drag and wear on the line. But unless you look at a used one somewhere it might be hard to find one under $100. Be sure and keep the rollers lubed and rolling.
Especially when Aftco roller guides and tip are going to be more than 3/4 of that $100 price you are looking for. The Penn standups are okay for that pricepoint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts