2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a generator and some lights to beat the summer heat this year. I dont know much about this kind of stuff so I'm asking for advice or any recommendation. I want something that is bright enough to cover a reasonable distance and area and is somewhere between the price range of $500.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
It depends on how you want to set up

First get a good generator, the biggest chunk of money. Then the lights can be any type. I like the work or flood lights and then one or two stage lights ( I kinda like the par56 can stage lights). They have a good single beam and the flood lights throw a good cover area. There is an electrical company in league city, off 45 that sells the lights for fishing but the price last I checked a kinda high. You can get the par56 lights at any DJ or music supply store.
Here are some from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3729017704&category=29944

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a place where u can get Par 64 light bulbs for less than $15 each. They will be GE and are FFN....1000 watt VNS bulbs, which are the very narrow spot. They dont get better than these bulbs. Also, the PAR 64 cans are available at a store off of I-45 and 1960 and are about $25-$30 each. That would make your light setup for less than $50. All the rest of your budget can be on a good generator like Bill mentioned. Just email me for the phone numbers..........O

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying Bill,

I will probably use it fishing TCD or the jetties. They had some works light for $20 1000watts work lights with tripod stand. Do you think that will work. The par56 lights you were talking about how would I set that up do they sell a stand for it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
GB, the lights I think you are refering too are the ones that you can get at Sears and are more of a flood light. You need the bulbs that can maybe penetrate the water. I have 2 setups, the first is 2000 watts and the 2nd is 1000 watts. My bigger setup can really light up the water big time................O

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
No, those work lights aren't what you are looking. I've got two 1000 watt Par 64s like rangatang is talking about. Usually I can get by with one if only a couple of folks are casting. The VNS (very narrow spot) bulbs are bright! and will serve you very well.

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
ns

GB said:
I want something that is bright enough to cover a reasonable distance and area and is somewhere between the price range of $500.
thanks in advance
GB,
I just purchased the setup you guys are talking about, 2 PAR 64's (1000w VNS). The PAR 56's will work also but are limited to 500 watt bulbs and I don't think a real good "spot light" is available for the 56's. I did a lot of research on this subject and most people with experience recommended the "spot light" as apposed to a "flood light" for better water penetration.

I bought the C-clamps to go with my light cans (@4 bucks extra) and you can clamp them to just about anything. I've got a 8' piece of thin wall conduit I use when I'm in my boat, just clamp em on and aim em! I sometimes take them to the public peers and they will clamp right on to the 2x4 handrails nicely, just clamp em on and aim em! The C-clamps are very versatile (is that right?)

The light bulbs and cans are pretty reasonable as previously mentioned but a generator, WOW, your gonna be hard pressed to find one under $500, I had to sell one of my hunting rifles to buy mine! :mad:

By the way, have any of you guys been fishing with your light set ups this year? I've been out 5 or 6 times with mine but the fish have not cooperated yet! Lot's of bait from time to time but the fish are not there!

Good luck, Fletch

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
They are correct

I thought I had the par56's but without checking I may have the others. I use the flood lights so I have a large area then the spot light to get down in the water. The best strikes I get are around the spot light, meaning in the flood light area using a poping cork.
While we are talking about setups, I need help with my generator. Any good tips? I put it up once again last year without changing/draining the fluids. I did this a few years ago and had to a lot of work on the carb. (I had to get someone else to do it for me, that is not my area of work.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
GB, you can probably get a generator for under $500, but it will be a noisy one. Coleman has a good one for around that price that can handle 2000 watts easy. It is the 4000 watt generator but try to get the one with the 5 gallon gas tank. Pulling 2000 watts from the 4000 watt generator will last right at 8 hours. That should be plenty of time to hopefully catch you a limit...........O

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
bill said:
While we are talking about setups, I need help with my generator. Any good tips? I put it up once again last year without changing/draining the fluids. I did this a few years ago and had to a lot of work on the carb. (I had to get someone else to do it for me, that is not my area of work.)
Bill, your generator won't run again this year? :headknock

·
Registered
5 Posts
i fish with a spot light @ the dike all the time and i must inform you NOT to buy those 1000 watt WORK lights that you see at home depot. each bulb is only 500 watts each and combined on the tripod makes them a 1000 watts of useless flood light (not the narrow spot, which you need) that won't penetrate the water. those from home depot are flood lights. stay away from those. you need a VERY NARROW SPOT beam. the cheap way is not always the best way. in fact i fish the dike all the time. i will be going again to the dike this weekend and you are more than welcome to touch base with me to fish with me using my light so that you can see the difference in lights. i can also explain better how the light actually works. let me know when you are ready to go fishin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the replies, and thanks for the invite fishing nugget but it will be a while til I get a chance to do some fishing w/work and school.
thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts