2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get my mom connected so she can download quicken updates every so ofthen. She doesn't surf the internet at all. So dial up is the answer.
I signed her up with netzero (no activation fee and 9.95/month) but it isn't gonna work out with netzero. They require that she log in from the netzero window through their dialer.

I would like to switch to ev1.net. They are $9.95 also but they require a 29.95 activation fee, which I don't want to pay. But the do allow you to connect directly throught dial up and not have to have some tacky tool bar on your screen.

Any suggestions on a $9.95 provider that doesn't charge activation fees and doesn't have required toolbars?

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
Try wtez.net I had good luck with them before I got wireless

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Texas.net used to be like $10/month. I running DSL now so I may be out of touch there on the price. Also isn't Netzero and Juno like $9.95/month?

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
A couple others

Netscape, EV1, PeoplePC have unlimited dial up for $9.95. If you were only wanting to get some updates from time to time, you could check out "Walmarts" internet connection. I have no idea how much or anything else about that connection.
As far as the "connection or setup fees" just get an install CD and you can do it yourself in five minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just go ahead and pay the 30 bucks for ev1.net. It's a very good service (I had it for 3 years) and there is no contract required, something you don't see much of with other 10/mth services.

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
You can set her up to do a manual dial up, and after it connects, open Explorer, Netscape, etc. to any page you set up as home page. I NEVER use the ISP's home page, just too much bc.

·
Registered
781 Posts
academicplanet.com
Advertised as being for teachers but i think anyone can get it.
$84.00 annually. Can't remember if there was a setup fee or not, but 7 bucks a month it's a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Tools-internet Options

Try Going Into You Computer While On Line To Tools And Check Your Internet Options. Reduce Your Amount Of Computer Space For The Internet To A Mininum. After That Put Your Days Of Internet History To Zero (0). This Reduces The Amount Of Time Your Computer Searches For Where It Has Been On The Internet. Also Check Line Speed. Hope This Helps. Tooexterme

·
Charter Member
225 Posts
waypoint said:
I would like to switch to ev1.net. They are $9.95 also but they require a 29.95 activation fee, which I don't want to pay. But the do allow you to connect directly throught dial up and not have to have some tacky tool bar on your screen.

Any suggestions on a $9.95 provider that doesn't charge activation fees and doesn't have required toolbars?
Just a thought. Do you have a broadband connection? Like DSL or cable? If you do, you probably have a dial up number you can use in case it's down. Why not set your mom's pc up to use that? It's free, since you already pay for your broadband. She won't use it very much, so you won't go over your monthly allowed time either. She can use it at the same time you are online with your pc. I have done this in the past with my Earthlink cable, when I was testing dial up stuff.

Just make sure you change the password to something really hard to guess, and if you change it after you set things up, make sure mom's pc gets updated also.

How's that? Free setup, and free monthly?? :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
jamesf888 said:
curiousosity piqued

how do you do a manual dial up?

james
Go to "My Computer" on the desktop, open dial up networking, new connection, and follow the instructions. It will create an icon on the desktop that will have user name, password and the dialup phone number. Click connect and it will connect to the server. You then have to open whatever browser you use. Now I run W98se, and I'm not sure if that is how it would be done on other Windows versions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts