2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in a bit of a dilemna. I have a good freind whom i leased out a pasture from (450 acres) which belongs to his father in law. The place wasnt super impresseive and looked a bit shot out...but i took it on the premise of the place next door was 4000 acres non hunted and low fenced. I paid the guy 3500 for me and my son. About 3 weeks ago, the guy on the 4000 acre side puts up a high fence! The other side was also high fenced which i could see alot of animals going underneath.....well that was patched up a couple weeks ago too. The back side to this place has a deep cavern type of creek so there isnt much passing thru there at all.. man this is very depressing! The place is loaded with hogs and weve caught like 6 in the traps. I honestly cant even find deer tracks in this place due to the large number of hogs. I have seen one doe when i was putting up a feeder (before the high fence) the only good thing is that it has alot of quail...but i dont hunt quail too often. I plan on waiting till the end of the season to see what happens. I mean, the place has good super thick brush, but not a whole lot of deer tracks. I know deer leases are hard to come by nowadays...should i be ****** off? should i say something? Im not rich or anything but the 3500 isnt a really big deal but ive never shot a nice buck and would like to kill something nice or hell i think 3500 you aught to be seeing deer everyday! Some says its cool that it has hogs, but hell you can buy wild hogs for like 30 bucks a piece! I paid some good money for a deer lease not a hog lease. I feel like i got screwed....Should i be happy just to hunt? Any advice appreciated bigtime! Duval County is shot out

Thanks

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
I don't know much about dear leases, but your per acre price is almost $8 per acre. Sounds very high for the place you are hunting. I would be ticked also.

How old is your son? If he's over 18 then you're only paying ~$4 per acre (each) - which is more what I would think a lease like that would go for...but then I already said I don't know squat.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
High Fenced Around

All is not lost, my friend Bucket has a small place near Junction. His brother has 600 acres on the North side of his place. His brother high fenced it 3 years ago and that cut off 2 sides of Buckets place. One other side was already cut off by a high fence. His only low fence side is a farm to market highway frontage side that has open pasture for a long ways in front of it. I dont know why, but his hunting is better now than its ever been. Its like he's at the end of a funnell or trap and they get to the high fence dead end in there and just hang around on his place. He sees lots of Axis on it to. It worked out OK for him. Don't give up yet! Give it a try first and you never know. Set out a Game-Cam, if it's rocky there may not be lots of visible tracks. You may have more deer than you think.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
You will only know after you hunt it...I think the rancher should give you at least 50 % of your money back. If you could move I would do it. There are still leases available. It probably depends on the area you are hunting. You didn't say...if your in the hill country you might be okay because of the high deer pops. This happened to us in Carrizo 3 years ago...The rancher offerred us another pasture or complete refund....we took him up on the other pasture and have been there since.

·
Registered
298 Posts
All I know is for $3500 you could have gone on one heck of a package hunt and you and your kiddo both shot a ton of deer and seen more than that. On the up side is don't put it past the deer to use the canyon route as a pass through. I have seen deer and cows both go up some amazingly steep walls with no effort at all. I mean stuff I wouldn't even attempt to climb. It is kinda that time of year that you aren't going to see a ton of tracks everywhere also. It could work to your benefit where you can manage you herd for trophy quality with little worry that your deer will get across a fence and get shot so look up and not down...at least for now.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The guy you leased it from probally didnt have any say so on his neighbors and their fences, so I wouldnt put all the blame on him. These are some of the things that are not always gonna be controlled. It would be another thing if he owned all the land that was being fenced.

Pros:
- You have the place to yourself
- Hogs and Quail to hunt
- You may still pull some good deer off of the place and you have the whole season to find out.
- The freedom to leave the lease and find another place

Cons:
- The money spent could have bought you two good spots in a Hill Coutry Lease that would be shared with others
- If you are a trophy hunter, you chances for a good buck have been reduced after you paid

·
Registered
578 Posts
Its not a grill bubba. It is a 48" smoker that could fit a whole entire cow in it if needed. I still to this day havent maxed it out.

The most I meat I had was 200 lbs. Briscuit and chicken mixed.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
No. In Texas, that's a Hibachi. Can't call it a grill if it won't hold at least 2 cows. Takes a capacity of 3 to be a smoker.

ROFLMAO!!!:D

Just kidding. That is one fine looking pit.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Where is the moderator? I cannot believe you just showed us some drunk naked chickens. LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
We got into the same situation 2 years ago. The land broker who was leasing the land never went out there, as far as he was concerned he was leasing us a 1000 acres for deer. After about a month of feeding we realized that we had the best hog lease in the county, but the worst deer lease you had ever seen. I have been hunting the general area for 20 something years and had never seen anything like it. No deer at all! We didn't get mad about it we just didn't renew our lease. I think thats about all you can do go out in the woods with your son and enjoy the season hunting or trapping hogs, then find a new place next year and do a little research in the area. People who live or hunt near by will tell you if they have a hog problem or not, just don't ask the land owner about that.

Good Luck

·
Registered
578 Posts
I agree with Northtexan. Also one of the best things to do when you are seriously conssidering a lease is to ask if you can contact the previous leaser from the year before. Their response is usually a good indication to the leases condition and you usually don't even have to contact the people from the previous year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.