2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it rains, it pours. I've been trying to get in touch with the new guys at Pearland Marine, but I can't get a call back. I'm sure they're dealing with a lot over there and I don't blame them. For all I know, they don't have power yet.

My 1997 Merc 60 horse Bigfoot sounds like it's running fine. It starts right up and it seems all 3 cylinders are doing their job. Problem is I can't get it to rev up all the way. It bogs when I try to get up to planing speed. I was thinking (from my limited mechanical knowledge) that one of the high speed jets in one of the carbs might be clogged, but it might be something else like the power pack. I do all the responsible things with the fuel. I use seafoam and sta-bil with every fillup. I have an in-line filter as well as a water separator. I've had the boat for 3 years with no hangups at all. I reckon it's time to take it to a Merc dealer for a good going over anyway.

I looked on the Merc site for dealers within 50 miles and most of them look like they may have been shellacked by Ike. Bass Pro is open I'm sure, but I don't know if I can trust a big box store to work on my motor. I know I'll probably pay through the nose for it there too.

I'd even consider a shade tree mechanic as long as he comes well recommended. My usual shade tree guy is an OMC fellow who doesn't like working on Mercs. I think I'd like to disconnect the oil mix feature too. I just don't trust it.

So can anyone tell me who is open who will work on my motor that isn't too far away from Angleton? I'd sure appreciate any info. Many thanks, Sandy

·
The Republic of Texas
4,595 Posts
What about the guy I told you about in Alvin. I'm taking mine to him for my motor issue. I trust him.

Mike

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, with all the hubbub, I darn plum forgot about that! Let me check my PMs for his number again. I feel like quite and idjit.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Ken Wood at Alvin Marine, very good merc mech, as some would say "he knows his s***".

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Coach, bring it by i will look at it for you, but i am busy till sunday.
you may even be able to take home some more nostalgia from my house!

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gregr, Did I buy that rocking chair from you? Seems like 20 years ago. It faithfully serves on my front porch. I was about to take it to the camp, but that will have to wait now.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember that well. I don't think I can afford even a smidgen of nostalgia right now. Too much to spend money on thanks to Ike. I sent you a PM. Mike, I found his # and I'll see if he can take me right away, otherwise I might visit gregr on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Coach, one thing on those mercs, some came with what was called a "black" stator, which was fairly unreliable, and was replaced with what is called a "red" stator that was much more reliable, and it sounds as if that may be your problem. If so, get ready to shell out some dough!
Take a peek under your flywheel and see if the epoxy coated "ring" is red or black.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't get out there right now with the skeeters, but I seem to remember when I purchased the boat that the previous owner made quite a deal about replacing that part with the red over the black and I remember him pointing under the fly wheel. I sure hope I can avoid shelling out big dough, especially since I don't have it! :D

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DOH, Cleaning out now.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
I don't know about those new guys at Pearland Marine. They seem pretty young and didn't want to do much to my motor other than a light tuneup.

I ended up switching mechanics once Trey left Pearland Marine and now use Acies for my Mercury. They have done a completely outstanding job at a very fair price.

Acies is back up and running, too. Give 'em a call.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
Sandy, I don't know anything about the guy out on CR223 other than his place is kind of junky :D From all the old boats he has laying around he may have some used parts as well.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
That place out on CR223 and 523 is called the Boat Stuff Yard. From what I hear, he's actually a pretty good mechanic, and is very reasonable. My FIL dropped of his boat there a couple months ago to have the throttle fixed. Something had broken inside of it. The Boat Stuff guy had the parts to fix it, and called my FIL back before lunch that same day, and said it was ready. Charged him all of 35 bucks.

Their number is 549-0119. Coming from Angleton, take a left on 2004, then a right on 223. Almost to the end of 223 before you get to 523, they are on the left side.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad to know Acie works on Mercs. His rep is unquestionable. Looks like Greg is going to have a look-see this evening. Then I'll try out the other leads. Thanks Y'all!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts