2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My situation: bought a F150 about 6 months ago because it had very low miles on a rebuild. After the last freeze on a short drive the temp peeked all the way then came back down to normal. The next day, hard to start running rough. As it warmed up it smoothed out. Filled with 50/50 antifreeze, checked oil no evidence of water. The next day hard to start and billowing white smoke. Bought some bars leak and drove it for 100 miles. It stopped smoking no loss of fluid seemed fine. The next day started it up and it made a very loud clacking scraping sound. My dellima is I need a truck for my businness (boat sales and electrical contractor) and things have been so slow I am broke. I need to know what I can do to fix this mess. IE sell it at a loss, replace the motor or repair.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dellima is I need a truck for my businness (boat sales and electrical contractor) and things have been so slow I am broke. I need to know what I can do to fix this mess. IE sell it at a loss, replace the motor or repair.[/QUOTE]I appreciate the replies but, I am looking for a solution. Fix or sell?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Depends on what its worth to you.
Information is limited. Year? Condition of rest of truck.
Get it checked by a mechanic. Can't do that on a forum.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends on what its worth to you.
Information is limited. Year? Condition of rest of truck.
Get it checked by a mechanic. Can't do that on a forum.
Overall it is in very good condition. It is a 97 f150 with a 4.2 6 cylinder motor and 5 speed standard transmission.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I doesn't appear any miracle in a bottle fixes are going to work. At a minimum I'd say at least the heads need to come off. Pull your plugs and look for one thats wet, probably with antifreeze then pull that head off. Sounds like it was overheated and either blew a head gasket or more likely cracked a cylinder head. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
sounds like a blown head gasket which may have warped the head more then likely. the clanking noise sounds like major damage -crank, rods, bearings spun somewhere.

your best bet considering you need a truck and not alot of funds.... find a junk yard motor for 400-500.00 and swap them.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Overall it is in very good condition. It is a 97 f150 with a 4.2 6 cylinder motor and 5 speed standard transmission.
with a 12-year-old truck, it depends on a lot of factors. a good independent mechanic will check it out for you for nothing and give you a quote.

if you live in the tc/lm area, let me know. i know a couple of good mechanics that will tell you the truth and not try to rip you off.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
with a 12-year-old truck, it depends on a lot of factors. a good independent mechanic will check it out for you for nothing and give you a quote.

if you live in the tc/lm area, let me know. i know a couple of good mechanics that will tell you the truth and not try to rip you off.
I pulled the plugs and inspected them. They looked good on one side but on the other they were a little "oily". After I put them in I ran it at idle for about 5 minutes and the clacking lessened and then completely disappeared. I am going to flush the motor, change the oil and then have my neighbor run diagnostics. If it needs any additional work beyond headgaskit and machining it will be worth it to me to take it to your area to get a quote. My neighbors shop is too high.

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
also if you need someone to install let me know . have a neighbor who is good does all my work. we are in baytown ive got 2 hes fixing to put in for me.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
you best bet is go get a used motor and install it . lkq has six months warrenty on theres .
Thats what I was gonna say too. You might be able to get the heads done for a reasonable price too. As long as the block isnt cracked or warped, this might be easier and cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats what I was gonna say too. You might be able to get the heads done for a reasonable price too. As long as the block isnt cracked or warped, this might be easier and cheaper too.
Thanks for all the help. If the damage is not too major I am going to fix it properly or if its really bad, as suggested get a used engine.
I live in the Sw Houston Sugar Land area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts