2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good rod builder to refinish a rod I have. My first question is whether or not you can convert a spinning rod into a casting rod. Let me know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You cannot convert a spinning rod to a bait casting rod. All blanks have a spine or a direction they would most easily bend. This is how you determine which side of the rod to lay the guides on. Being as a Spinning rod would have the guides on the opposite side as a bait caster this will not work the handle would be upside down

What do you mean by refinishing the rod?

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Lots of differing opinion on the importance of locating the spine, especially light rods. Bottom line, can you convert a spinning rod to a casting rod ? Yep, and you can just replace the guides if you're happy w/o a trigger reel seat. You'll most probably end up needing several more guides than what was on the spinning setup. Not very cost effective to do this...most charge ~ $7-10/guide + the cost of the guide. Just my thoughts. Jerry

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I agree with Goags. I have built many casting rods on what were designated as spinning blanks. I don't even check the spine but put my guides on the straightest axis like the OEMS do. But to get back to your question, I think Goags has answered it very well. There is a saying among custom rod builders, the rod blank doesn't know what it is going to be, spinning or casting.

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,922 Posts
wow

i am so glad someone else said those words first. goags and jerry. i build them the same way. i try to get blanks as strait as possible but you always get a few that have a natural curve in them. i try to spine all my blanks but it is not always possible . as far as spinning and casting rods, its a rod. i use magnum bass rods sometimes for saltwater if the customer wants something different than i can get in casting ,popping etc. good info guys jmo randall

·
Registered
18 Posts
this is an interesting topic. you can indeed, build a casting rod out of a spinning designated blank and vise versa. as for the spine of the rod being straight, well thats all luck on the mandrel's part. i, on my personal rods aline the spine where it's supposed to be no matter how un-straight it is. when you put a reel, line and lure on the rod- the weight of the lure makes the rod hang straight so to speak. as for customers who look at the rod, well they see a curve to the rod, and then they have concerns about the rods function, but the curve doesn't effect the performance of the rod.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry guys I guess I should have worded my reply different. It can be done just not very practical to take a rod down to the blank and start over. Getting the handle, reel seat and everything off of it to start over. It was stated that he wanted to convert a spinning ROD not a spinning BLANK.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Actually, taking everything off the rod and getting back to just the blank isn't HARD, it just takes a bit of care and some patience. Probably the biggest concern is how the reel seat was attached. If the rod was commercially prepared, the glue was probably fast curing, because time is money. If it was a custom rod, it is possible that the entire "gap" between the blank and the reel seat was filled with epoxy. If so, it will be a bit more of a challenge. But... it CAN be done!

And the old Fenwick numbers, as it was explained to me, were all "SP" because the blanks were originally designed to be built into spinning rods. But a jillion of them were put into use on the Gulf Coast as "popping rods"...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Parrot head,
In reply to your question.It is possible to convert any rod either way ,it just takes a lot of patience and care,but!!!!! unless the blank is a very special one to you,the cost will outweigh the results. The blank will best be stripped and redone.I personally locate the spline as true as I can on every rod I handle be it old or new. This requires a bare blank.
I have found that old rods are a lot of fun to rebuilt just to see how some of them were built to start with. Be brave and let your imagination have its way.It can be a very rewarding experience Lots of luck Carl

·
Registered
18 Posts
parrothead823 said:
I'm looking for a good rod builder to refinish a rod I have. My first question is whether or not you can convert a spinning rod into a casting rod. Let me know.
Parrot Head,
If you have a rod that you are sentimental about, I would suggest CP Custom Rods. He takes good care of people's cherished belongings while restoring them better than new. He also has alot of custom designs that you will probably end up adding. All his work is done by hand and his thread art is unbelievable. It is amazing, what he can design on a rod. You can catch him in the evenings or weekends or leave a message (281-842-7926). He is more than willing to answer any questions that you may have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts