2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good lawyer in the Galveston County area to address harassment issues from a home owners association. I cannot go into detail at this time, but am interested in legale representation. Thanks for your help. JV

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I am also having trouble with my HOA. It seems that my neighbor feels it is his right to park a 3-ton truck with a man-lift in front of my house every night and all week-end, and the HOA hasn't been able to make the SOB obey the rules he agreed to. There are 8 adults, three children, and seven vehicles now residing next door--a 1500-1600 foot house. Matamoros in the making.

I am aware that occasionally there are stories about HOA's that hit the press, but in general, they protect your investment. The bottom line---if you do not agree with the terms, do not move in.

·
Better use wire.
8,357 Posts
When a Lawyer says..Do Not Discuss with Anyone. That means do not post up descriptions on the web. It could hurt your case. The more confidential you keep it the better. Good luck on resolving your situation.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I am also having trouble with my HOA. It seems that my neighbor feels it is his right to park a 3-ton truck with a man-lift in front of my house every night and all week-end, and the HOA hasn't been able to make the SOB obey the rules he agreed to. There are 8 adults, three children, and seven vehicles now residing next door--a 1500-1600 foot house. Matamoros in the making.

I am aware that occasionally there are stories about HOA's that hit the press, but in general, they protect your investment. The bottom line---if you do not agree with the terms, do not move in.
most likely it's a public street and your neighbor can park where ever he wants.

solution - park your car in front of your house.

or in front of his.

or do like Capt. Doug did - go buy a cheap POS car and park it in front of his house.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
No, he cannot park a 3-ton truck wherever he wants. He agreed to the tenets.

Park in front of his house? Great idea---accelerate a tenuous situation by being as much of a jackass as the inconsiderate SOB? A foolish remedy, the like of which often result in violent events.

The bottom line--again--if one doesn't want to adhere to an agreement, do not agree. Simple?

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
I had a neighbor that continuously parked in front of my house for awhile. An adjustment to the sprinklers, timed just right, in the mornings cured it.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I was curious, so I looked it up. I am sure there are other ordinances pertaining to parking in my city. An inconsiderate person, is an inconsiderate person.

"It shall be unlawful for any person or any owner to knowingly leave standing in any public street, alley or other public place in the city any vehicle for a longer continuous period of time than 24 hours."​

·
Registered
26,148 Posts

Park in front of his house? Great idea---accelerate a tenuous situation by being as much of a jackass as the inconsiderate SOB? A foolish remedy, the like of which often result in violent events.

The bottom line--again--if one doesn't want to adhere to an agreement, do not agree. Simple?
despite what your tenets say, an HOA has no control over public streets.

none.

if you live in a subdivision with private streets, that is actionable by that HOA.

City or county ordinances could prevent the parking of commercial vehicles on residential streets overnight. That's where you need to look for resolution.

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,022 Posts
I was curious, so I looked it up. I am sure there are other ordinances pertaining to parking in my city. An inconsiderate person, is an inconsiderate person.

"It shall be unlawful for any person or any owner to knowingly leave standing in any public street, alley or other public place in the city any vehicle for a longer continuous period of time than 24 hours."​
Then call the police(non emergency) if it is a city ordinance issue. I had an issue with some neighbors and when the police showed up it was all resolved. Also it sounds like you might have a zoning issue next door if there is more than one family living in the house.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
i believe speckled-catcher is correct. if it's a public street, your hoa cannot set guidelines for parking in it. i went through this once about 15 years ago.

and even though you are technically not supposed to leave a vehicle in the street for more than 24 continuous hours, the cops will not come out and sticker it as an "abandoned vehicle" unless it has sat idle for days, or even weeks.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,326 Posts
i believe speckled-catcher is correct. if it's a public street, your hoa cannot set guidelines for parking in it. i went through this once about 15 years ago.

and even though you are technically not supposed to leave a vehicle in the street for more than 24 continuous hours, the cops will not come out and sticker it as an "abandoned vehicle" unless it has sat idle for days, or even weeks.
True....
I have delt with this in my hood

·
Registered
549 Posts
Tell your neighbor that you would appreciate him parking in front of his own house. If just one of his tires touch your grass have it towed

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had simular situation. I went next door and ASK them not to park in front of my house or across the street in front of my driveway. I told them if they were having party, etc. feel free. They were cool with it. If they need to park in front of my house, they ask. We are not best friends, but watch out for each others stuff. In my experience, a face to face goes a long way in lieu of calling authorities or HOA.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Twinfisher, unless I missed something, your question was never answered. I am currently involved in litigation myself. The attorney I'm using is in League City. His name is Michael Hughes. I can't tell you whether I would recommend them yet because the case is ongoing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts