2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Puerto Rico in Febuary and am wanting to shoot waterfalls. I am thinking about getting a Singh Ray variable ND filter. B&H lists 2, one seems to be thin (SIVTRM 77) and is $50. less than the other (SIVRM 77). I was wondering if any of you know about, or uses one of these? Can you tell me what the differences are? I was also thinking about getting a 2 stop soft graduated ND filter. I think perhaps a less expensive brand for this

I will be shooting with a Nikon D700, and a 24 -70mm, F2.8
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Sorry, no help on those specific filters. I have a generic Singh Ray knock off and a Hoya ND400. I have only used the variable model a few times, the HOYA is just a sharper filter. The variable filters just use two polarizers and seem to always have some banding and what not in the variable. Maybe the Sing-Rays are better but I still prefer shooting with the hoya.

Here are a few examples of what a 8 stop filter does (slows the shutter speed way down) for anyone that might not know.
They are cool filters.. This was done with the ND400 (6sec at F11).

Just another for fun..

·
5,853 Posts
Singh Rays are top notch, I have 3 and really like em. Hitech are also good and a bit less costly, but they tend to have a color cast you will need to compensate for.

Keep in mind for wide angle lens you would want the thin mount, but the thin mount Singh Ray will not have front threads, so you lens cap will not work, or can not add additional filters. More info:

http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html

Also with a Wide Lens you want to keep the filters in front to a low profile so Vingetting doesnt happen.
For Grd ND filters I use a Lee filter system and 4x6 filters for the above reason and also you can position the gradient line at any place in the frame you want, with the screw on type the gradient line will always be in the center of the frame and using the rule of thirds will be impossible, Very limiting on compostion.
Cokin makes a Zpro system that is the same size as Lee. I donot recommend the Cokin P system, they are a bit smaller than the Lee and Zpro and I have seem many folks buy them and not be happy afterwards.

Hope this helps
Fred

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Arlon, I did not realize Hoya had a variable ND filter.
I like the idea of being able to easily change the density, but only if it dose not degrade the picture.

Fred, have you ever hand held your grad ND filters?

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I want one of them vari filters with the Polerizer on it, however, the $400 is my only problem. I want one before I go to Hawaii in March but need all I have to insure we have a good time also but sure want to take some waterfall photos.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Thanks Arlon, I did not realize Hoya had a variable ND filter.
I like the idea of being able to easily change the density, but only if it dose not degrade the picture.

Fred, have you ever hand held your grad ND filters?
The Hoya filter is FIXED, not a variable filter. I guess that's why the Hoya always seems to be the sharpest. I have both, a variable and a fixed. I almost never use the varible.. All I use the variable for is shooting sun shots with it stacked on the Hoya.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the "Fader ND", cheap but after researching it, there seems to be a lot of IQ problems. I ended up ordering the Singh-Ray Vari ND Duo. NOT CHEAP. I also ordered A Hitech GND kit from 2filter.com Its a Conklin P holder with a thd ring adapter and a 2-stop soft GND, I added a 2-stop Hard GND to this. At some point when I get over sticker shock from the Vari ND Duo, I would like to get a Singh Ray 2-stop rev ND, but enough for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts