2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been years since I have taken a boat through San Luis Pass from West Bay. The 'channel' used to be marked, but I am sure it has moved since I was there last. Are there any good ways to get through this area to the Gulf from the bay? I'm going to be in a 21 foot Bay Pro. Normally I would just put in at Freeport or Galveston, but I will be bay fishing with some friends that have a bay house down on the back side of the island and may want to run out to some deeper water if the waves lay down. I'm ready for some better fish... my last two trips have been with a fly rod, and at least I caught fish for the first time with it, even if they were just piggies and lady fish.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the route out of the pass marked on the GPS, but it's usually not to hard to make out the deeper water just by watching the breakers. If you launch at the county park and have not done so in a long time be sure to stay wayyyy to the left on the way out. hope this helps.

Greg

·
Banned
594 Posts
Be careful just relying on gps. I've been running offshore out of the pass the past few years, and had it in my track log as well. Those bars and guts change all the time. Stay way left and read the water....Good Luck...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on saving some waypoints as I get through it this time. I am more concerned with inside the bridge than outside. I don't think there will be much problem outside, I know you can't go straight out but have to go east along the beach for a ways. My problem will be in coming from the north from across West Bay and getting to the bridge. Second time should be much easier, at least I will have the begining of the channel saved in the GPS. My dad and I have taken a 32 foot sportfisherman through San Luis Pass before about 15 years ago... involed lots of very low speed and careful observation.

·
No Hero pictures don't need them.
954 Posts
to get from west bay into the pass is mark pretty good. you have to find the first marker which can be alittle tough. there are poles marked with orange road cones on top. i think you will need to have them on your left side on the way out. they zig-zag some too. if you get through there ok stay close to bird and mud island almost to the park. there is a shallow bar on the left side not over fifty yards away. if you go through with a bright sun and polarized glasses it is much easier to see. go slow and hang on tight!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts