2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I did some testing on what I hope to be a natural mosquito control and I would like to get some discussion on what yall guys think about it.

I placed a 5 gallon bucket full of water outside for a week and observed that mosquitoes have taken advantage of the standing water by laying their eggs. It seems as though there were hundreds or even thousands of larva swimming around in a very short period of time. I then placed 3 small gold fish inside and found within 2 days all the larva have been eaten. I checked up on the goldfish from time to time and found they did a wonderful job of keeping the larva population in control, to the point where I would not find many more larva. I did not have to feed the goldfish or add any sort of aeration to insure their survival. I believe a number of things supplied their nourishment like the larva, other micro organisms and algae. The algae would also supply the water with oxygen.

Now can you imagine if you were to step this up on a larger scale for example a small goldfish pond, or a kiddy pool or even a horse trough? In order for this to be effective, I believe that you would have to get a good number of neighbors in a local area to try this. I guess my theory is that if a mosquito is going to lay her eggs, why not attract her to a body of water to where her larva would not survive. This might be a very slow process but it might just work.

I would like to start a discussion on the pro’s and con’s of this natural mosquito control.

Pro’s

1) Affordable

2) No chemicals

3) Reduces mosquito population

Con’s

1) If gold fish die, now becomes a free for all mosquito breeding ground

2) Must keep up with water levels

3) Might take many tanks for it to be effect, so neighbors would have to jump aboard

4) may not be effective at all for some reasons beyond my logic and understanding

And that's my two cents worth

Philip

·
5,853 Posts
I think it has merit. I have heard from some old timers that they would do the same with fish in there stock ponds.

I guess the only thing I see as a draw back is, like you said,
1. It would take a large scale intrest to make it work.
2. How do you control all of the standing water (overall and not just local).

Good idea though

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
There will be water standing in the grass, in the plants and flower beds. In rain gutters, in storm sewers....you get the idea.

But I bet you have some happy gold fish!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hmm. Interesting theory, but i see a downside..

Wouldn't the standing water attract adult misquitos to lay their eggs and then bite you anyway ??. LOL.. Just a thought.. Peace.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right, you can not control all the standing water, so this can never become 100% effective. It is more of a magnet, I'm hoping a large trough would be more attractive to the mosquito than some small puddles on the ground. One thing I know is that my bucket did attract egg laying mosquitoes and the larva did not mature into blood sucking mosquitoes. Maybe I should ask another question, are mosquitoes smart enough not lay eggs in a bucket with gold fish?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
We have been putting goldfish in our horse trough for many years. It works great, but like troy mentioned, the problem is with other standing water. The ones that were not intended to be there in the first place.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
We have a large water bucket in the back yard, bout 30-35 gallons, and we have had gold fish in there for the last 5-6 yrs.. They started out only about an inch long, now they're 4-5 inches in length and lots of algae. There are no mosquitos in this water tub for the dogs. This could be effective mosquito control but you'd have to ensure there's no standing water anywhere else and in Southeast Texas that's virtually impossible. The mosquitos won't be able to tell your gold fish pond from a cup full of water standing in a storm drain, ditch, etc... Your idea has merit but it relys on people ensuring that there is no other standing water anywhere in the area and everyone should already be doing that.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Exactly what Troy said. They come out the thickest after it rains. You would have standing water everywhere. Cant exactly put goldfish in the yard and ditches. Right??

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the water attracts the mosquitos, but if you already have an existing pond/fountain, then I agree that the gold fish or koi is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok there is no way this would control the mosquito population on a whole, but the question now becomes could it help in local subdivision type areas? Sure we have no control of all the mosquitoes in swamp type areas, but I don't see much standing water in most subdivisions, so I can see it being more effective in small regions.

By the way can mosquitoes breed in salt water? It sure seems so when I go down to beach they are ten times worse there.

·
Registered
576 Posts
also mosquitos dont need water they can lay their eggs in grass next rain or heavy dew bam it starts again

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you saying mosquito larva and fully develop just from dew? I thought it takes 5 or so days, seems like small puddles and dew would dry up before then?

·
Most Non Funny
1,833 Posts
We do this at our Ranch in all of the cattle troughs, it is important to have some underwater cover for the fish so that the birds wont eat them though

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,991 Posts
I have a small pond in my backyard with bass and perch. I'm sure they eat their fair share of bugs, but I doubt it's enough to account for the ditch with standing water behind my house. There are plenty of toads and frogs back there and lots of purple martins in my house. I'm sure they take care of plenty too.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Mosquitoes have the ability to lay their eggs dormant for up to something like 90 days without hatching and waiting for the least little bit of rainfall or water to hatch out. I know God put everything on this great Earth of ours for a reason but I have not figured this one out for sure!!

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
catch 5 said:
Exactly what Troy said. They come out the thickest after it rains. You would have standing water everywhere. Cant exactly put goldfish in the yard and ditches. Right??
Instead of pesticides maybe they could spray very tiny goldfish from crop dusters over large areas of land??? :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill,
Thanks for that link, good reading. They suggest that we can use a bucket of water as a trap, so this just may give merit to my theory. They said that mosquitoes do not travel far, so a few well placed buckets of gold fish buckets or even some soapy water just may help control the growing population. I see though this thread has just become a laughing matter for most, proving that this theory could never work. The concept may work but convincing the masses will be the hard part, such a same that this became no more than a joking matter!!!!
Philip

1 - 20 of 25 Posts