2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from walking the new lease and I have found what looks like an old orchard of Apple trees.
No, these are not the "Knobby" Horse Apples that we would bean our buddy's head with when we were children,, These are about the size of a lrg plum and have a yellowish/green coloration to them and a smooth skin. This is very old farming land in deep E texas and these trees do not seem to be planted (none of the trees are planted in rows ,, they are very scattered about , but within a 100ft radius of each other and there are about 20 trees. Are these Native trees ??

Anyone have an Idea as to what these are ??
They aint no store bought "Golden Delicious" apples but when you open one up it has the exact inside as an apple you would get at a store.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
If my memory serves me right, I think the only native apple trees are found in the Lost Maples area, I think.....

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
HonkyFin said:
These are about the size of a lrg plum and have a yellowish/green coloration to them and a smooth skin.
Anyone have an Idea as to what these are ??
They're called pears.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The place a grew up on had apple trees that sound allot like the ones you are describing, small apple about the size of a plum, reddish, green, and yellow coloring. As far as I know they are not native, but you may have stumbled onto a home place that had small orchard. We found out that the family that owned our house planted them for preserves and jellys. If they are the same thing I am talking about they never get big and stay tart from start to finish.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Likely they were planted maybe a 100 - 150 years ago and over the years the original trees died and sprouts took over. Should be a great place for both deer and hogs.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Take some pics next time you get out and post them up here. I have seen apple trees in "the wild" before also, but I am pretty sure there are no natural/native apple trees in our area. Matter of fact, I saw some near Round Rock just the other day.

But they sure can grow here.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys.
I recently talked with the land manager and he told me that they are in fact Persimmon Trees/Apples and yes the deer love them.
He told me that the original owners (from what he has learned) planted them and also planted some Pecan trees a few hundred yards to the East which I will be looking for next trip out.
He said the original Deed to this land was scratched out in 1898 and that it was in the same family until about 11 years ago.
I just hope I dont encounter any ghosts out there enroute to the blind at 5 in the morning.

Thanx again
Honk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts