2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my vacation in South Dakota and discovered something that some of you might be interested in. My first stop was the badlands, when I got to the ticket booth I was told that the national parks has a new program for active, retired and veterans from the military. All you need is an ID showing that and the pass is free. It gives you free access not only to you but anyone in the vehicle with you. It is good for a year and you when it expires it is also free to renew it, as long as the program is in effect. Is a great deal for those of you who travel and visit the national parks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's Awesome! Glad to hear our country/national parks do that for all the men and women who have served our country. And thank you again for your sacrifice

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I’ve been to several national parks in the last year and while my military ID got me free admission, I was repeatedly told there is no such pass like you speak of. I asked them, and they used to have one, that’s for sure, since I’ve had an annual pass several times. But if they have one now not all the NPS employees have gotten the memo, unfortunately. Just FYI.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Says here that you can get a free annual pass

I agree, but I guarantee you when you go the park there’s a good chance the employees there will be clueless. I’ve found the big parks might do it, but the smaller ones may not. Other military friends of mine have had similar experiences. At least they‘ve never made me pay, they just don’t really know the details.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If it is a problem then get the pass online or at least print out the relative parts from this web page and show it to the uninformed employee who may be a volunteer and not up to speed on it.
Thanks, but I’m not concerned, I’m used to government incompetence. If they ever tried to charge me that would be a different story. Btw, they make you pay $15 to get a “free” military pass online, which includes a $5 shipping fee. The big parks, which have the most experienced rangers, have always seemed to be on the ball in my experience, so the next time I go to one I’ll try again.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A tip of my xxxxxxxxxx Stetson to you SIR for the great information. Thank you everyone for the sites and links. I love the National Parks and all this great country has to offer. THANKS EVERYONE AGAIN.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts