2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to the jetty's around 4:30pm. This trip was special because I finally convinced youngst son to go with us. Had Rob (29) and Mike (24) together for the first time since they were young. Rob is the fisherman, Mike is the free spirit. Mike doesn't have very much experience with a bait caster so set him upto free shrimp. Just drop it over the side and letthe current take it. BAM! 18' speck right off the bat. It was really good to watch Rob give Mike on how hold his rod and play the fish. This was a special trip because Mike is trying to put this life back together, because of drugs and brushes with the law. Both boys has a ball. Old dad just sat in the front of the boat and watched the two work together.
Fished 4:30pm-7:30pm, water gin clear, outgoing tide, shrimp on free line and on corks close to the rocks was the ticket. Caught 2 sharks, 4 Spanish Mac's, 6 trout, and several sheephead. Action didn't really start until tide started moving.
The boys( I guess I should say young men) had a ball with the sharks and Mac's, first time for both of them to catch those species. When leaving, I asked Mike if he wanted to drive the boat, he looked kind of puzzled and I told him that for me it was "Miller time" just listen to Rob and he will tell what to do and where to go. After cleaning the fish and loading the boat Mike shook my and and said "let's do this again, that was fun" MADE MY DAY.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
WTG DannyMac!

I could only imagine how you felt.
I took Tall1fin and his son out Tuesday and saw a true father / son bond. As we were talking before they left, my son walked up and asked if I had given up on his as a fishing partner. I lied and said no. But I thought he wasn't interested anymore. So on my next trip, he will be there.
I'm still looking forward to hooking up with you on them Jetties.
Take care,
Bernard

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Staybent, Thanks.....Looks like July 30 will be the next chance at the jetties. Rob noticed one of the bunks on the trlr had come loose so I think I will be putting new bunks on the trlr. Wife will be out of town next weekend so a little maint. is in order. Will be at coaching school July 26 & 27, have to report on the 28th. Plan to give the staff a day off on the 30th since we have to come in one day early. So that will be my last weekday trip until after football season. If you are going to be on the water, send me a pm.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
to all the dads that took us fishing. thankyou for the memories.

i miss mine ... he was my fishing partner.
still think he's around laughing at me every time i let one spit the hook back at me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Amen to that tngbmt...

And, DannyMac...my daddy taught me fish and how to drive our boat when I was nine. Taught me to read the compass and figure out what heading to take to get back when we were going 10 miles off shore out of Surfside. Then, he'd sit back after a day of fishing and never say a word while I took us back in. I thought I was pretty big stuff to say the least. Pretty heady to be trusted by your dad like that. No matter what your age. I'm sure Mike felt it too. AND...my experience with my own boys...they don't even get human until they hit 25 or 26 or so...hang in there!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts