2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, a couple of guys I know, on three different nights, caught fish under the lights and put them in a 50 gallon submerged bait barrel to hold until they could be cleaned the next morning. Every morning the fish were gone. After the first night, thinking the tide may have come over the top and the fish escaped , the lid was tied shut with a small rope. During the second night after the fish were caught and in the barrell, with the secured lid, a loud banging sound woke one of them up. He came running down to the dock where the barrel was, thinking he would find a "two legged" fish thief caught in the act. Instead, he saw a large black or dark brown animal slither off the dock and into the water. It was as large as a fat labrador retreiver without legs or very short legs. All of the fish were gone. The next night after the fish were caught, they were put into a "boobie trapped" barrel designed to trap the creature. The next morning, all the fish were gone except for 2 fish heads and scales all over the dock. After going through all of the reasonable possibilities, a large Nutria would seem to be a logial explanation except that Nutria are vegetarians.
Any theories??

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I'm sorry. It was me in a wet suit.

I was practicing to start an over 280 lb civilian seal team in case we get invaded by Canada. I got hungry.

Need more work on dock stealth.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Wow, it does sound like an otter. I sure would be surprised to see one in that area though. Not that we havent seen them in the bays but usually not where people are.

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,213 Posts
except that Nutria are vegetarians.

not in tiki??? put a vid cam out there next time and try to catch it in the act.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My neighbors caught an otter stealing croaker out of my bait barrell (in Tiki) before the hurricane. I was wondering if it survived the storm. I put a latch on my barell and the problem was solved. What canal do you live on? He was hanging out around Short Reach.

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
We have a lot of otters around here, or did before the storm. I see them some time alone or in pairs. They get fish carcasses off the bottom below my buddies cleaning table and come up on the dock to eat them. They have also mated on the deck, screaming and biting until they rolled off the dock into the water to, ahhhh...........finish!:D

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Id agree on the otter. Iv seen them in my canal at tiki before. Like others said a trail cam will let you know exactly what your dealing with. Plus the pictures would be pretty cool to see.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My neighbors caught an otter stealing croaker out of my bait barrell (in Tiki) before the hurricane. I was wondering if it survived the storm. I put a latch on my barell and the problem was solved. What canal do you live on? He was hanging out around Short Reach.
The canal between Leilani and Tahiti......opens to Jones Lake

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I just got home from fishing, put in at FatBoys at 2PM and I think I just encountered what you are talking about. I was by myself and tied up at the FatBoys dock this evening around 7PM and went to get my truck, I had 9 keeper flounder in the ice chest, all caught along the cedars on the Galveston Ship Channel, while on the dock I heard something slam shut really hard, sounded like someone slamming a ice chest lid really hard, I didn't think anything of it, until I got to Hitchcock and was putting my boat in the stall, as I lifted the ice chest out to set it in my truck bed, I instantly noticed the ice chest was extremely light, I lifted the lid and all my flounder were gone.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This thing has gotten extremely agressive and has an insatiable appetite. It is desribed as weighing between 40 and 60 lbs...much larger than an Otter. Maybe this is somehow related to the Hurricane?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts