2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She smiled upon all her offshore fishermen this weekend and produced an outstanding two days offshore.

My Dad pulled out on Friday and called us to report we best count on going long and deep this weekend. He said it was a pretty as it gets, but the water was hot and the bite slow.

We got away from the dock in Dickinson Bayou at 10:30 Saturday morning. Having a real job has its ups and downs, lol.

Arrrived about 80miles SE of Galveston to find the bite *real* slow, but the current was screaming. We spoke with Aba Cadabera (one of the best of the best offshore boats out of Galveston) as he passed us on the way in, on our way out. He said about 4 pounds of lead might get you to the bottom, and wasn't kidding. After drifting some cutoff rigs, and a few standpipes, we hit a nice weedline.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
my favorite stretch 50 scored a bonito, and later Rudy scored a nice dolphin. I have known Rudy since we were in high school, and he was pumped about this fat female he put in the boat.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we got past the end of the weedline and hit a few rigs for some 'cudas. They were thick as thieves.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a huge female, that we had to double over in the big chest to ice down. The filets on this fish we over 5 pounds on each side. At first, I thought wahoo, but when we saw those teeth, there wasn't any question it was a 'cuda. Remember, I stand 6' 8" ;)

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
right at sundown, we contacted Dad on the VHF, who was anchored on the rock at Claypile. Right about the same time, a well we stopped at produced a full limit of snapper in under an hour.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
how far ohhshore is that? cool pic.. nice in flat.. my kinda water..LOL.......JJ

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I'm Swooning Already....

Some great pics. That weedline with the rig in the background and the flat water is almost too much for me to handle. I think I'm going to pass out! LOL!

"And She'll Have Fun, Fun, Fun 'Til Her Daddy Takes The T-Bird Away!" CF?

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just after the pic above was taken, a whole family of Flippers moved in and the bite died just as fast. It was time to make a run to Claypile and catch up with Dad. I enjoyed a nice *cold* ham sandwich for dinner and turned in for the night on the flybridge. I was just too pretty of a night to sleep inside, and me, my pillow spent the night under a billizzion stars.

First light this morning, Jim, yells, "get the gaff". I rolled out of bed and stabbed a large Ling, with a good clean gaff to the gut, and the battle was on. That thing was as green as green could be, and the "welcome aboard" baseball bat was nowhere to be found. I finally taught it some manners with the business end of the gaff. Mean time, it's big brother followed it to the boat, so I yelled for Jim to get that ****** bait back in the water. Less than 60 seconds later, we have green ling number two at the back of the boat. This thing was so wild, it got off the gaff, and the 2nd go 'round, I stick it good. The back of the boat looked like a bloodbath, we have two green ling on deck, blood from head to toe, and Jim is climbing the ladder to the flybridge to get away from the one on his side. I finally got both of them on ice, and started hosing the boat down. We had blood, guts and bait for every direction in twenty feet, and two nice Ling on ice.

My bro rolled out about the time we got it all hosed down, and we decided to hit the trail home early, since there wasn't any room left in the cooler. My Dad ran with us on the ride home.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
overall, we scored a limit of snaps, a nice chicken dolphin, two ling, and 3 'cudas we decided to keep. I cleaned fish for almost an hour and we will be eating fine this week, don't cha know. ;)

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the 'cuda in the foreground is the one I was holding up, to give ya a perspective on the ling and snaps.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
let me know when you can go, Capt. Chris, and we will hook you up. I run my 25' Wellcraft, my brother Gary runs a 37' Bert, and Dad runs a 48' Chris. Dad's boat has over 1000 miles range, between fuel stops. We rode it to Grand Cayman and back a couple years ago.
My little speedster is good for those quick trips to jump a few kings, and snaps :) My favorite boat, is my brothers, where I get to fish and tie up to the rigs. It's fun being a passenger, sometimes -vbg-

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Good report on a good trip, Mont. You and green Ling kind of have a thing going. At least You won this one. The one with Zach was more of a draw. Love that pic of the weedline.

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
wow, great report monty. i have only been offshore one time, and havent ever really been tempted to head back out there....but those pictures! its beautiful out there. kinda makes me want to try it again, someday....if i knew it would be that calm out there LOL. what kind of camera do you use? those sure are some pretty pictures. glad yall had a good trip.

trudy

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
allicat, I use an Olympus 460D, which in it's day (I bought it in '98) was an upper end camera. Compared to the ones they have now, it's low end, but I like it being a digital SLR. The LCD screens are hard to see in full sunlight, and that's mostly what we get offshore.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Cool pics bro.

I need to try that offshore thing here in Texas. Done plenty in California, but never here. But I like your Dads style. 48' Chris Craft. Man, thats a sweet rig. Yall can fry on those little boats. Id like to be in that ACed Fly Bridge. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts