2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was able to only make 4 hunts with me this year. He did not get his buck, but at least I put him on a nice deer.

On his last hunt, he had a nice 8 pt lined up and took the shot. The buck just stood there asking 'what was that noise?'

He hit the guy-wire used on the feeder.

This is a close up of the wire. Remember the wire diameter is smaller than the bullet. No. 9 wire versus .270 bullet

Attachments

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,213 Posts
I did something similar... It was my first shot with a bow at a buck and I hit the bar/railing on my tree stand right in front of me. I just barely grazed it but it was enough to send the arrow end over end. :headknock I had no clue what happened till the next morning when I saw the shinny streak in the metal.

·
180+
407 Posts
My son was able to only make 4 hunts with me this year. He did not get his buck, but at least I put him on a nice deer.

On his last hunt, he had a nice 8 pt lined up and took the shot. The buck just stood there asking 'what was that noise?'

He hit the guy-wire used on the feeder.

This is a close up of the wire. Remember the wire diameter is smaller than the bullet. No. 9 wire versus .270 bullet
How many wires do yall put on a feeder? Do yall have a problem with your feeders getting knocked over? I have never seen a feeder with guide wires on it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Missed a coyote trotting left to right along the fence line. He was on the other side of the fence and I squeezed the trigger just as he walked behind the post.:headknock

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10erbetter,

This particular feeder has 3 guy wires. The feeder is located on a rock ledge, so I cannot drive t-post into the ground to anchor it. I normally drive t-post into the ground by the feeder legs and then use large hose clamps to tie the t-post to the feeder legs. Hogs will root around the feeder legs and eventually cause them to shift.

This feeder is also located on the top of a tall hill. The wind blew it over one time, so the guy wires are necessary.

blue.dog

·
Expert Boy, Apprentice Grownup.
526 Posts
Been there, done that.

We were shooting bullfrogs on a lake after a rain, and the lake was full up past the fence. My son took aim at one of the biggest bullfrogs I've ever seen, and before I could stop him, he shot the barbed wire fence. He couldn't see it in the scope on his .22.

I took a shot at a running hog one evening just as it ran behind a hog panel fence. I remember thinking the odds of hitting the wire were about 24 to 1. Until I pulled the trigger, anyway. At that second, the odds went up to a hundred percent.

I hate when that happens.

Lance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
dead eye

As a child growing up I lived on 70 acres with cows and horses and the whole "farm" bit. Well needless to say I got very handy with guns, rifles and shotguns both. In about a 6 month span when I was roughly 16, I shot and broke 3 different barbed wire fences around my house shooting at targets. Once with a 9mm carbine and twice with a .22 mag. My mom started calling me "Dead eye Dick" cause I kept shooting all the wires!

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,636 Posts
Edge of dark one year I hit a sapling. The doe went down, but it wasn't the bullet that killed her, it was wood shards from the sapling. There were five or six of them rignt in the chest and they took out the heart and lungs. I wouldn't try this at home, but it was a kewl one time trick.

·
Make America Great Again!!!
2,173 Posts
HAHA, too funny.
My younger brother did that once to the feeder leg.. LOL

·
Registered
209 Posts
I drilled a feeder leg one time too , as if all don't know it , a three legged freshly fed feeder does not stand up to well on two legs and a new timer does not have a chance on surviving a ten foot drop under a 55 gal drum full of corn. Was just a bad day !.

T.

·
1,193 Posts
Thats no trick!!! That's murphy's law if it could happen it will

1 - 14 of 14 Posts