2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son was sitting in the stand with me waiting for a chance to get a buck on our last hunt on this property(we are leaving and looking for another lease)......we were talking about where we are going after this season when this guy steps out and ended the current topic which quickly changed to try and age him on the hoof....we both decided he was 4.5 and chose to shoot him.....Now John shoots a 336 Marlin chambered in .35 Rem(picked up from a 2cooler)....and although the gun packs a waloop...it is limited to how far it will remain accurate ....this deer was about 175 yrds away and a suggested my .270.......he stated that his gun will hit it at that distance.......And I am now trying to do drops on this cartridge on the fly and figured out what he needed to hold over and let him takeover.....while I watched through the binos
John squeezed off a shot and I watched the buck do the old leg kick which indicated a hit at least....he ran about 50 yds and killed over

High fives and woohoos were all around.....His biggest buck to date

He ended up hitting the deer low just behind the shoulder....and upon inspection of the vitals just clipped the bottom of the heart......great shot

Attachments

·
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea ...we were concerned that we would not get a shot on a trophy for John....but it worked out well........Hes not a monster or even a BC buck but John said it was a great deer which makes feel like I did my job......

Now the search for another place for him to hunt

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is the biggest 8 year old I have ever seen...you need to get him playing football.

Just kidding, nice buck and nice shot!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Save the Best for Last . Way to go Troutslayer . You will never forget that day.
Congratulations to both of you !!

·
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He does play football.......He will be a freshman at BHISD next yr......Go Eagles

John texted me earlier and said he saw all of your replys from school.....***....I cant believe kids can access the internet from school.......

Anyway he said thanks for all of the replys

I am getting old.....I remember when the neat thing for us was when they got IBM typewriters.........

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
Just right! Congrats to you both!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts