2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I spend more time fishing, than catching
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I put in for some hunts for him and holy cow he was selected for a hunt! I am the mom who went through hunters ed last year with her son. Now, we have been drawn for a hunt at Enchanted Rock SNA from 1/14 to 1/16. First things first I need a step by step please....I have never hunted, been to shooting ranges, my son is in shooting sports but wow, I'm excited for him but scared to death he won't have a good experience because of my lack of experience. He has wanted to go hunting since I can remember....Help please!!!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
What did you get drawn to hunt for? Deer?

First thing is they will do an orientation with you before the hunt begins. Alot of your questions will be answered there as far as safety type stuff, what you can and cannot shoot, etc. Most likely you'll be hunting from a blind of some sort. You'll just need clothes for a variety of conditions from cold to hot, a rifle that is sighted in and ready to roll with some ammo and a pair or binoculars or two. You'll also want to take coolers to ice your kill in should you get lucky, Prolly going to want to get a good knife and a sharpener. They will have a place for you to clean your game and will most likely have the stuf you'll need to hang your game for skinning. You'll need a good knife though. Start searching the net for how-to blurbs on skinning game. The wildlife biologists and technicians and other hunters will more than likely be glad to help and give you pointers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congrats on being chosen for the hunt.
If your son is in shooting sports you should have a starting point. Check at the local gun range or ask around about NRA members locally that could give you some pointers-advice. I think with a little research you will find all the help you need close by. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
call TPWD and tell them of your delima. Hopefully they would have someone to assist you. You surely are not alone with this problem. And kudos for getting your son involved.

·
Pirogue man
61 Posts
Great!!

I've hunted ERSNA and did very well. You will have a grand time.

The details:
  • there will be an orientation on day one and blinds will be assigned.
  • the blind will be a ground level box blind set up along well traveled trails or deer areas
  • baiting will probably be allowed, so bring a bag of deer corn to spread out in front of the blind at an appropriate distance. This will bring the deer in and keep them there for a while. Now, remember, you son is harvesting overpoupated deer, so baiting is part of the effort is making bringing the deer into range
  • unlike the Wildlife Management Areas around the state, there is no deer dressing facility (butchering area). Instead, most everyone that quarters their deer will have to use the low branches of the trees in the campground. You may not be into this part of the process and may want to take any deer that your son harvests to a deer processing plant/facility in Fredricksburg. If he does't get anything on one of the hunts, it would be good for him to observe some of the experienced hunters dressing their deer.
  • If the weather is nice, I would hightly recommend camping there and not getting a motel room in Fredricksburg - it is a beautiful area. It has been my most favorite place to hunt and camp.
  • There is no food there, so you will need to bring it in.
  • There are Axis deer there, and the last time I hunted there a mother and her 14 yr old son managed to get three of them right neer the campsite.
This will be a really powerful experience for you and your son, whether he gets anything or not, so make the most of it - the memories will last a lifetime!!

Good luck!
Richard S. Hall, PhD

·
Frustrated Fisherman
672 Posts
Wow, I'm excited for you. This will be great for both of you. A lot of great advise has been presented. As you have more specific questions post them up, plenty of experience here to help you. Good luck and try to enjoy this as much as possible. We all have been here, that is, being a novice at this hunting thing. There is really not a stupid question from you at this point. Good luck

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have a ranch right next to there 2 miles down the road 965.. You will see deer for sure.. You can almost feed them by hand.. Also lots of exotics axis deer/hogs/etc..Axis is the best eating..They will set you up in a blynd then you need bring a couple of bags of corn to spread out. 99% sucess rating at enchanted rock.. That is the easiest hunt in the state..Dont worry just work on shooting straight at the range.. If you dont shoot one you can drive over one with the car on the way out of there.LOL..I have hit four not on purpose.. Lots of deer you will have a great time.. Shots will be under 75 yards more like 25-50 yards.. Just be queit and you will have no problem..If they let you shoot axis deer they are bigger and better eating so ask..Spread the corn 25 yards or so up wind from the blynd..

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
wow u have to be the best mom in the world--i wish i had -had a mother like u-- not to take any thing away from my mom --she was awasome--but really how many mothers would do what u have done--ur awsome--u took the time to get involved in one of the fundemental past times of our great nation--u sighned ur boy up for a hunt--yall won--wow im beside myself for u---what are the chances--u go mom---i hope yall have the best time ever--dont worry--just dress for the weather--take food and drink--one gun--one box ammo--one sharp knife--one set binoculars-2 camo ballcaps--and one bag of corn for every day ull be hunting--and most of all please do not forget-- the most important of alll----a digital camera to record the most joyess times u and ur son will have --he will be beaming from ear to ear and ull be so happy that yall got to spend some of the most quality time together in ur lives--ps--u must post the pictures on 2cool so we may enjoy ur time also--good luck and safety over everything

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I greatly admire your dedication in allowing your son to experience the things he has shown interest in. If you are willing to take a weekend in the near future, I will be happy to have you and your son join me in Tilden for a short crash course. Plus I will give him a jumpsart on his whitetail hunting career. As a gift from me to the both of you, he will be able to take a cull buck if the opportunity persents itself. We will teach him how to field dress and quarter an animal if you take one on your hunt in january.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
pacontender said:
I greatly admire your dedication in allowing your son to experience the things he has shown interest in. If you are willing to take a weekend in the near future, I will be happy to have you and your son join me in Tilden for a short crash course. Plus I will give him a jumpsart on his whitetail hunting career. As a gift from me to the both of you, he will be able to take a cull buck if the opportunity persents itself. We will teach him how to field dress and quarter an animal if you take one on your hunt in january.
Very kind offer!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Very nice of you to offer to help them out! I hope they take you up on it.
pacontender said:

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am so excited we are already planing our camping trip and hunt. You are some amazing people. I can not thank you all enough for your generous offers and words of encouragement. I am so thankful to have found this site! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
yes ur right

the people on 2cool are the best i have fished with quite a few folks from here--and always had a wounderful time--i hope u take that fella up on his offer that is some great offer for your son to learn from an expert--if u do please post pics and give an update:birthday2

coastalbend74 said:
I am so excited we are already planing our camping trip and hunt. You are some amazing people. I can not thank you all enough for your generous offers and words of encouragement. I am so thankful to have found this site! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

·
Registered
128 Posts
What an awesome group of people! I would also like to cast my vote for Mother of The Year right now! Have fun!

·
Registered
772 Posts
If there is anything I can do to help I would be glad to assist. I am familiar with the area and have taught my sons to hunt in Gillespie County. I am about 90 minutes away.

You name it hauling, skinning, quartering. Although once you are there I think you will have plenty of help.

My advice is practice shooting but do not over do it to the point of getting a flinch. If even a hint of one starts stop shooting and practice with a .22 or air rifle. Study Deer anatomy both for shot placement and field dressing.
Bring lots of coolers.

And you rock as a mom.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
well... I'm speechless. For a mother that has zero experience to do something like this for your son is just plain awesome.

Way to go MOM!

LMAO !!

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK I am bumping this back to the top of the pile someone can give my advice on a perhaps a book to help up with info for beginners. Like hopefully he gets a deer, how to from step one to whatever.....We are really excited and I want to be prepared as possible for a beginner even if it's only book smarts for now. So if you know the perfect how to hunt book for dummies let me know. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Pacontender has given you a very generous officer that would help getting you and your son started. Ole Payco always comes to the top.. Take him up on his offer

Charlie

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
What Charlie said...take the man up on his offer and the experience will be worth a million times more than what you could get from a "how to" book.

TH

1 - 20 of 34 Posts