2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not going to bore you with the details, but like everyone else over a week without power put me behind on many fronts. I hope now that the worst is behind me.

This is my official Ike post. I'm in a funk and I don't know about the rest of you here on the photo part of this board, but I'm very depressed by the carnage it's left behind. Like the fishermen and hunters on this board as a landscape photographer I've never taken the beauty around us for granted.

The imagery I've seen from my favorite haunts (Bolivar, BBSP, Kemah etc) this hit me right in the wheelhouse. It's going to be very challenging from now through the spring I suppose to find those special shots amidst the tangles of broken branches and debris, but after a few weeks of admitted self pity, it's time to format the cards and charge the batteries again.

For my friends in Galveston and Bolivar be strong and bring it back better than ever. When I heard the lighthouse was gone I was at a loss for words. I was so happy to find that not to be the case - as I truly consider it to be the icon of Bolivar. Just like after the storm of 1900 the lighthouse remains...not from the strength of a single brick, but from the some of it's parts. Thanks to all of you for helping your neighbors.

I wanted to post this first when the lights were off and I heard it was still there. Perhaps some of you see something special in these clouds...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'm with you on that Rusty. Very well stated. We sometimes see pictures that you and others post from far off "beautiful" places like Bryce Canyon, Colorado and the Rocky Mountains, the Grand Canyon, etc., and we tend to "wish" that our area had some of that same type of beauty. I for one have always known that we had our own kind of beauty right here and that we sometimes failed to notice it or appreciate it as we should. Now that some of it has been drastically altered or disturbed, it's easy to see the difference between what was and now what is. Your picture of the lighthouse is a shining example of that. I know things will be better than ever over time. Nature and people have a way of rebuilding bigger and better after something like this. It's just going to take that time. We will have to look at things a bit differently for awhile and maybe have to look a bit harder to find those great shots but they are still there for the taking. I have been in a similar funk I believe and am starting to try and find my way out of it. I think a Saturday morning at BBSP is for me at least, just what the doctor ordered. Good to see you back out and about and posting again.
James

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
Welcome back Rusty. I love the way you expressed your feelings. I been down in the dumps also. Getting where I hate to turn on the TV. Brain is on overload from viewing all the devastation.

·
1,188 Posts
welcome back Rusty and that is one awesome picture.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
On a positive note...Rusty, you and the other great photographers we have on this forum, have captured some truly great photographs of the past (how it was). These images can and will be used to gage the sucess of the rebuilding. I have no doubt that you all will use this renaissance to produce even greater images.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts