2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me say this. The below opinion is mine and mine alone. I'm entitled, as a human being, to have and express my opinion...no matter who it may offend:

1. I believe fishing guides are @-HOLES. I've never met 1 that doesn't have a superiority complex.....Yes I know you can say "a few bad apples ruin the bunch" but the good apples need to help make the bad ones into apple sauce. (The "Cougar Run Ranch" thread is a perfect example)
2. I believe fishing guides are raping our natural resources. Anyone that puts 4 or 5 guys on their boat, loads it with 40 or 50 fish, twice in one day should be shot.
3. I believe fishing guides should be catch and release only. Some may say, "Well we eat those fish." I say, if you are poor enough to HAVE to eat the fish you catch, then you probably shouldn't be wasting money on hiring a fishing guide.
4. I believe fishing guides do not own the boat ramps. They should learn to pull ALL the way up so others can use them. When I trailer a boat, I pull clear to the other side of the parking lot. This is where the trash can/dumpster is usually located, so I take that opportunity to clean out the boat.
5. I believe guides that duck hunt on Texas public water ways are just as bad/worse than fishing only guides. They are guilty of the same crimes.
6. I believe I will NEVER pay for a fishing guide. I wouldn't even go on a free trip if someone offered.

Note: it can be argued, by some, that hunting guides on private land are the same. I do not want to debate this b/c I believe it's a different monster.

Let the bashing of Geez begin. :work:

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,317 Posts
First of all let me say this. The below opinion is mine and mine alone. I'm entitled, as a human being, to have and express my opinion...no matter who it may offend:

1. I believe fishing guides are @-HOLES. I've never met 1 that doesn't have a superiority complex.....Yes I know you can say "a few bad apples ruin the bunch" but the good apples need to help make the bad ones into apple sauce. (The "Cougar Run Ranch" thread is a perfect example)
2. I believe fishing guides are raping our natural resources. Anyone that puts 4 or 5 guys on their boat, loads it with 40 or 50 fish, twice in one day should be shot.
3. I believe fishing guides should be catch and release only. Some may say, "Well we eat those fish." I say, if you are poor enough to HAVE to eat the fish you catch, then you probably shouldn't be wasting money on hiring a fishing guide.
4. I believe fishing guides do not own the boat ramps. They should learn to pull ALL the way up so others can use them. When I trailer a boat, I pull clear to the other side of the parking lot. This is where the trash can/dumpster is usually located, so I take that opportunity to clean out the boat.
5. I believe guides that duck hunt on Texas public water ways are just as bad/worse than fishing only guides. They are guilty of the same crimes.
6. I believe I will NEVER pay for a fishing guide. I wouldn't even go on a free trip if someone offered.

Note: it can be argued, by some, that hunting guides on private land are the same. I do not want to debate this b/c I believe it's a different monster.

Why bash when a Mod can just close/delete this post all together. If you don't have anything good to say...then don't.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I think you should just come out and say whats on your mind. LOL

There's good guides out there. Good and bad just like every other occupation in the world. There are enough that fit your description that the baby gets thrown out with the bath water pretty often though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
YOU KNOW WHAT ....... I pretty much agree, esp. with #2. Not all guides, but the croaker guides sure have put a dent in the population(esp. Rockport, I've seen it) running two trips a day. 4 limits twice a day, times the number of so-called guides, everyday...you do the math.

·
Registered
297 Posts
YOU KNOW WHAT ....... I pretty much agree, esp. with #2. Not all guides, but the croaker guides sure have put a dent in the population(esp. Rockport, I've seen it) running two trips a day. 4 limits twice a day, times the number of so-called guides, everyday...you do the math.
do you have any idea how many fish are out there. they aren't even denting the population. I don't think it would be physically possible to recreationally overfish the trout population if we set no maximum limit and let people sink their boats with trout.

People that are anti croaker *generally* are people that are pure artificial snobs, and don't catch all that many fish when they go. Then they get ****** when someone rolls up with a box full of fish they caught on croaker. If the population couldn't handle the fish being caught, the limits would change.

·
laid up here in a country state of mind
534 Posts
Wow, this oughta be good! Have you ever actually fished with a guide or is this more of an observation? I hate to bust your bubble, but even guides have many days that its more fishing than catching. Its up to the paying customer to keep the fish or not. They are by the way paying for considerably more than fish to eat. It would be much cheaper to go to HEB and buy fish. Also, consider the equipment, cleaning, and supplies these "A-Holes" are putting back into the local businesses to run their business. Most people who hire a guide want to learn new techniques to improve their own fishing trips, or are new to the area and want some guidance on where and how to fish. Most guides go out of their way to provide what ever experience the paying customer wants. Some just cant afford a boat and want to go fishing. I will agree that a few have some additude issues, but saying a general statement liek that is just juvenile. I bet my response is the kindest you will get. Insulting guys that work very very hard is gonna bring out some fire. You are entitled to your opinion, but some things are best kept to yourself, in my humble opinion. By the way, i am not a guide, just a fisherman.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts

I'm glad you are able to type away on your keyboard and speak your mind......Good for you man :biggrin:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm guessing you don't catch many fish when you go out.
Some days lemons....

I can tell you this: I have fished with guides before, several times, and I've done ok but never great (and no, this is not what formed my opnion of guides). I've certainly caught more fish without them. I can think of 4 or 5 times i've fished with guides and can compare that to 4 or 5 "average" fishing trips with my buddies or parents....there has been more fish caught on the "average" trips.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad you are able to type away on your keyboard and speak your mind......Good for you man :biggrin:
Oh trust me Capt. if you were in the way at the boat ramp, or buzzed me while wading on the shoreline...I wouldn't hide behind the keyboard. Just happens I'm sitting at my PC looking a this website. I haven't found the "face to face" section of 2cool yet.

·
Cowboy T-shirt Fan
5,206 Posts
do you have any idea how many fish are out there. they aren't even denting the population. I don't think it would be physically possible to recreationally overfish the trout population if we set no maximum limit and let people sink their boats with trout.

People that are anti croaker *generally* are people that are pure artificial snobs, and don't catch all that many fish when they go. Then they get ****** when someone rolls up with a box full of fish they caught on croaker. If the population couldn't handle the fish being caught, the limits would change.
Do you have any idea how many there are? If there are so many then why can't everyone limit out everyday?

I think that Flounder were thought of the same way until there weren't any to catch.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.