2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a boat. I took a chance and bought one on Ebay... so, all I have to go on is the seller's word that I got what I want... It's a Ranger Bass Boat... with a 175 Mercury OB on the back... trolling motor... fishfinder... needs the carpet replaced on the floor... other than that, it's supposed (emphasis on supposed) to be in great shape. The motor has 40 hours since a rebuild, uses pre-mix gas which I like better than oil injection (don't trust those oil injection pumps), and it's on a relatively new trailer. I'm going to upload some pictures (I hope) and do a lot of praying that the seller is an honest man... here she is...

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to add a couple of things... First, thanks to everyone for their advice and comments. I was fairly well sold on the idea of a bigger boat (cuddy cabin or pontoon) until Mrs. T convinced me that she isn't likely to join me. I fished out of NightTrain's Bass boat, and I liked everything about it... room for three men, storage, ride... and this boat fit into my small budget... I got it for 500$ less than the guy's "buy it now" (asking) price.. It's important to me that you all know that your input had a great amount of influence on the entire decision making process. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I didn't listen (or read) their words and take them to heart... Thank You All... I decided on a smaller boat because it is much more portable and I believe I'll fish more than if I had a 24' pontoon, cabin boat or a bow rider to haul around. I know I can't fish in the lower James, but I still have my beater boat that can handle rougher water if i want to go that way... plus my neighbor (the guy who's boat I fixed a few weeks ago) and my Pastor, both have bigger boats that I can probably fish in the Bay and ocean in when they go...

So.... there she is... I hope she's as good a ride as I have been lead to believe....

Tom

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well done. I think you will be pleased by this boat Hawkeye. I had a friend that had one almost like it, but he retrofitted with an Evinrude. He fished this boat until he won enough money to buy a brand new boat-= cash. I also had one with the same hull design, and it handles water (i think) better that a v-hull.

I agree with you in that if the wife and whole crew isn't going, this will be all the room that you need. A 'toon has a lot of room, but why go with it if it isn't needed.

Is that the XR6 model motor, or an in-line model?

Happy boating.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a V-6. I don't know the model number. Yeah, I'm thinking the modified tri-hull will be a slightly more stable platform than a deep-Vee. I have no clue how well it will handle the water. I also don't have any plans to become a tournament fisherman... Racing to the fishing hole isn't my idea of relaxation or fun. I might race to the ramp if the weather looks like it might turn bad on me, but that's about all the racing I have in mind... the kids might want to learn to waterski, or they might want me to pull them on an innertube, and I can live with that... I hope it is a dependable boat... something my current boat surely is not.
I added two more pictures. One of the motor....

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think that it is the predecessor to the XR6. It will definitely be enough to pull a tube or skis.

BTW, I was browsing through some of my old magazines last night and found a couple of articles on the James river that you might be interested in, if the wife didn't throw them out when she cleaned up today.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mudd_catt said:
I think that it is the predecessor to the XR6. It will definitely be enough to pull a tube or skis.

BTW, I was browsing through some of my old magazines last night and found a couple of articles on the James river that you might be interested in, if the wife didn't throw them out when she cleaned up today.
It could be... Like I said, I don't know that much about outboards in general, and even less as far as specific models and stuff... I have a friend who used to sell Mercs, and he told me it was a 200hp motor that is de-tuned (smaller carbs) to 175 horse power. I like the thought of having a more powerful motor tuned down to a lower horsepower rather than taking a small motor and trying to max out performance from it...

I would like to read any articles on The James, especially if they have references to catfishing in them. There isn't much in the way of expertise that I can't access locally... there are guides that willl share information, and there are a lot of local catmen that will also share... but other opinions are always welcome...

·
Registered
550 Posts
One of the guy's names was Jimmy Weir, I believe out of Williamsburg. I got these articles out of back issues of Catfish In-Sider He magazine. He suggests LARGE cut shad for big fish. I will try to photocopy a couple of articles next week.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mudd_catt said:
One of the guy's names was Jimmy Weir, I believe out of Williamsburg. I got these articles out of back issues of Catfish In-Sider He magazine. He suggests LARGE cut shad for big fish. I will try to photocopy a couple of articles next week.
Yeah... up here we try ti give them a quarter pounder without the cheese... I've used chunks as big as a pound... you don't have to worry about the dinks messin with the bait when you put a piece on that big, but it can sure slow down the bite :) That big blue NightTrain and I caught took a shade (cut in half, both pieces on an 8/0 circle hook) that was about 6" long... so it doesn't always take a big bait to catch a big fish.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NightTrain said:
good deal,bud...lookin' forward to a''bote wide"!!:ac550:
If things work according to plan, and you know how that goes, you'll probably be the first human I take out in the boat... I'm thinking about getting a temp. registration and putting the boat in Gaston on the way home... just to see how she floats.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, are you supposed to name converted Bassboats (Catboats)? I've been wondering about that... how about "Hawk's Nest"

I'm saving "Susan B" for when I get a real boat...

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Boat names....

Mine is named"Seldom Scene"(after the bluegrass band),simply because everybody around here knows I catch big cats,but,I'm rarely seen on the lake!!;) ...Thought about"Pole Dancer",but decided otherwise.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I can get off work Friday, I'll go then. I can't go this Saturday 'cause the kids are coming home from camp and I have to be there to unload the bus and pick them up. Sunday's out.... so if I can't go this Friday, I'll have to wait a week. It's not a big deal... I waited this long, another week won't kill me, but I have to admit to being a little bit excited.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the boat today. She's a monster... I took NightTrain out for a boat ride, and I have to tell you that I'm not sure I'll ever open it all the way up... There was a little bit of old gas in the tanks, and I put fresh in on top of what was in there... was told it wasn't that old.. anyway... all I could get her to do was 4200 rpms... I think the prop is too big @25" pitch.. anyhow.... at 4200 rpms we were FLAT OUT FLYING down the lake. She ran a little rough because of the old gas and I Think I put too much oil in there... 28 oz in 9 gallons of fuel... it smoked a lot.... There are a few other things, like the bilge, livewell, and lights don't work, but all in all I'm pleased. I had to put trailer lights on to get home from Lake Gaston... Beavis and Butthead rewired the trailer in the dark.... and on the way home, the alternator crapped out in my old car, so I drove home on the battery.. it got DARK the last few miles.... She's going to make a fine catboat when I get her rigged for fishin....
I Bought two gallons of quicksilver oil from the guy who put the steering cable and water pump on for me yesterday. I told him that if he lived closer I could keep him so busy his head would spin... I called yesterday at two to ask him to put a waterpump in it for me so it would be right to put in the water today. He had it done by 4... one of the steering cables was bad and he changed that for me too... same deal, in by two and done by four... I don't know of any outboard shop that can turn work out like that around here...
Last thing... and I'm going to bed... He put the lower unit on a dynamometer and turned the engine up to 6000 rpms it scared the heck out of me, but that motor is solid as a rock...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I wish my mechanic was that fast, it takes him 3 days to change a water pump. :(

Congratulations on the successful bote wide. You probably had a triple problem, old gas, too much oil, and ALMOST too big a prop. prop should be okay, but is bigger that I like, especially is it is a performance prop.

All you need now is a whole lotta slime:)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NIghtTrain's hip was bothering him pretty bad. He was going to fish with one of his neighbors, and all we were supposed to do was ride 'til dark. He canceled his fishing due to the hip, and I couldn't talk him into going out (I bought battery powered night lights "just in case" for the boat at Walmart) to catch even one fish to Christen the boat... he didn't feel good at all, but was a great sport when we went on the water and the boat kept dying.... I Think you're right about gas/oil and I'm not sure about the prop. I don't know enough about that stuff... I can size a prop if i have a properly running engine... and lots of props to choose from... that's about it.
I just checked the alternator in the car... it's smoked... now I get to work on the car.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update.... I took the boat, motor & trailer BACK to Basset, Virginia... 440 miles round trip, twice now... to let the mechanic that "rebuilt" the motor have a look at it. I knew something BAD was wrong with it when the flywheel was wobbly, but I guess I was in denial, hoping it was something less severe than the broken crankshaft I suspected it to be... well, no good news appears to be in my immediate future... as suspected the crank is broken... Now for the really great news...the seller and mechanic both met me at the shop... they both just stood there and told me "crankshafts break sometimes"... you could have knocked me over with a feather.... I asked them what they could do to help me out, since I PAID FOR A REBUILT MOTOR, and I expected it to run longer than THIRTY MINUTES before I had to replace it... they didn't say a word... the mechanic offered to put a crankshaft in it for 1000$ I just said I'd have to think about it... thanked them for meeting me at the shop on a Sunday, and drove home. It's a good thing that time has mellowed me a lot.... It's also a good thing, for them, that Virginia has the death penalty for capital murder...

So, here I sit, completely disgusted with boats and human beings in general... If the guy had at LEAST offered to do SOMETHING for me, I don't think I'd be so disgusted....

I'll be shopping for a new motor, rebuilt powerhead or something to fish out of.... I just want to take my kids fishing... is THAT too much to ask?

TT<><

·
Registered
550 Posts
Man, that BITES. I would have thought that they would have been a little understanding, or at least sympathetic. Didn't you buy it off of e-bay?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.