2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
I sold my KLR650 about 4 years ago. Worst mistake I ever made. I ride a RoadGlide now, but am getting another DS as soon as I can save up the green. I really want a DRZ400 or the KAW equivalent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dualsport

I've got a 2006 KLR650. It has 10,400 miles on it. Use it mostly for getting to and from work, however I have ridden it on the TAT in OK, NM and CO. 900 miles of offroad, 1660 miles including highway. This summer my wife and I rode it four days in GA, TN and NC. We had a blast and my wife is wanting to go again. (Maybe somewhere in the hill country)

I had plans of putting together a ride that included the beach from High Island to Sea Rim but do not know if it is still possible. Rode it last spring and it was fun but will have to wait a while to see what the shoreline is like.

Later,
RICK

·
Registered
146 Posts
1972 CL 350 with 2900 miles. Runs great! I don't have current tags but I still run around the neighborhood regularly.

Attachments

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,911 Posts
I just returned from a few days riding in the Hill Country. I could not help but notice a LOT of BMW's that appeared dualsport to me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
nice xrl

very cool XRL, i've got the first year model, 1993 XR650L. It's been bored out, full race exhaust, and recently gotten a very nice pumper carb thats worked out way better than the others i've put on. i've also tore the bike apart and powdercoated the frame and had the wheels changed to black rims with SS spokes. alot of other things, if your looking for ideas let me know.

bone

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Congrats! Good looking bike, looks like alot of fun. I have a '73 ironhead that breaks down alot on the side of the road. Usually have to push it/hike somewhere to get help. Does that count as dual sport? :D

·
Pffftt!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody, it has been alot of fun, and I have already put almost 2000 miles on it since Sept. Hey Bone where are you located? Good looking old L, I know what you mean about the mods, I have plans for 102mm JE piston, Hotcam, and port work over the winter. I have already begun making changes, front fender mod, about to install Acerbis Rally II hand guards, and upgrade to an RK Gold X Ring chain, and mod the CV carb untill I can get a pumper. If you are near SA maybe we can get together for a ride, I also have some good trails on my property if you like to thrash.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Been on the look out for a good used XR or KLR and finally found one. 1996 XR650L with right at 2000 miles and it is clean! Did not get to ride but a couple of days before our weather changed but sure excited about getting back on and riding some more.

Attachments

·
Pffftt!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice find on the XRL, first thing you need to do is get rid of those stock tires, they will get you in trouble on pavement, and are no good in the dirt. Very clean for it's age. You will love the bike, there are so many easy mods you can do to really unleash the inner beast. They are detuned from the factory to meet emission requirements, and with some very minor modification the really wake up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That XR is going to be a great bike. Lots of great places to go on dual-sport rides in Texas if you know where to look.

Here's my ride, an '07 DRZ400S. She's lying down on the job in the second photo, seems to do that quite often.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here's my DRZ-400 Supermoto modified. I put 17-inch knobbies on front and rear. Front sprocket is 11-tooth. Rear sprocket is 52-tooth.

That thing will crawl like a tractor! Top speed is about 35 mph.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts