2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors have a female Chihuahua that they want to breed once before they have her fixed. Well, today was the big day. The neighbor's wife has a coworker that brought her male Chihuahua over this morning at 8:00 and left. Neighbor's wife goes to work leaves husband at home. Before mentioned husband lost the male Chihuahua sometime around 10:00 am and hasn't found it yet! He is dead meat if he doesn't find that dog! Man, I'd hate to be him.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Dog ran off?

Stuart said:
Before mentioned husband lost the male Chihuahua sometime around 10:00 am and hasn't found it yet!
Heck! Didn't the dog know what he was there for? He probably won't get another shot. Foolish mutt!

·
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
troy merrill said:
Heck! Didn't the dog know what he was there for? He probably won't get another shot. Foolish mutt!
That's what puzzles me. Seems if the female was in heat he wouldn't run off.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I would encourage your neighbor not to breed his dog period. There are enough unwanted dogs in shelters. If the female had good bloodlines, that would be one thing...but the fact that he wants to breed her once before spaying is evidence enough that she doesn't.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Uh Oh, sound like trouble

The little lady musta wanted to talk about things for a while. You know .... her feelings and how the little man should be more sensitive etc. He likely said (barked), "to heck with this, I didn't come all the way over here to talk, I'm outa here". Or something like that.

Seriously, I hope they find the dog for the owners sake. I'd hate to try and explain to a kid what may have happened and why.......

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
I've bred a lot of dogs in my lifetime and one rule of thumb with the more agressive breeds (knot saying taco dogs are agressive) is you never bring the male to the females (keeping it clean) house. You always take the female to the males place. Thats the way it works. Instead of fighting he probably just high tailed it. Being in a strange nieghborhood he is either close by or long gone.
The husband will be ok unless the wife runs the house. With the wife going to work and the husband staying home then probably the wife runs the show so if thats the case the husband probably is dead meat!

Bigwater

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Maybe if they already, ahem, err, uh, accomplished their mission the owner would be happy with a little male puppy...just in case the daddy is never found. It's called "makin' the best of a bad situation".

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Shawn speaks the truth, most of my dogs are from one rescue or another. But, the dog owner has a duty to put both a collar, and rabies tag on that collar, and if they did that, their pet will be found. The sad truth is, dogs know squat about cars, and roads, but hopefully he ran to a neighbors house and will be found alive. All my dogs, also have a name tag on their collar with all of our phone numbers. When a jail break happens, it's good to have your ducks in a row, and get your pet(s) back. With all the thunder around today, it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't what scared him off.

·
Old yellow member
2,275 Posts
Mont you are right and there is Also

a system called "Home Again". Both my dogs have a rice size chip in them and if they ever end up at the SPCA or anything like that they now scan there shoulders. Chip reads to a computer and you information is there.

Some Vets are starting to carry the device's also for those that come in with a lost dog.

FN

·
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
speckle-catcher said:
I would encourage your neighbor not to breed his dog period. There are enough unwanted dogs in shelters. If the female had good bloodlines, that would be one thing...but the fact that he wants to breed her once before spaying is evidence enough that she doesn't.
As far as I know both dogs are AKC registered, both owners are responsible, and if they want to breed her I think that should be okay. All of the pups if she has any are already called for.

As far as unwanted dogs in shelters, did you know that there are many shelters in the U.S. that import dogs from out of the country? If you don't believe me, do a search. Think about it, a shelter can charge upwards of $200 adoption fees, plus fees for shots a neutering. It can be a cash cow. I'm not saying every shelter does it, but some do.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Hey Stuart, no disrespect, but BFD if both parents have AKC registration. Fishnut will concur with me on this. Just because the dog has AKC papers only means that the dogs parents had papers. It does not mean that the bloodlines have thouroghly researched for health & temperament problems. The dog could be a carrier for any number of genetic diseases. For those of us with large dogs, hip dysplasia and bloat are conditions that are passed on to progeny. It does not mean the dog is "worthy" of breeding. The parents could be the worst example of the breed and still have AKC papers.

Any other "kennel clubs" that your dogs have registration papers for are a joke. They merely exist to fool an unsuspecting buyer into believing their puppy has papers. The papers of those kennel clubs is not even worth the paper it is written on. (Except Canadian Kennel Club).

I have read the stories of imported dogs. I believe them to an extent. Here in Houston I can make a good guess that we do not import any dogs to put up for adoption. A shelter may charge $200 for an adoption. Most of the time they always lose money. A small profit on one animal will get quickly used up on a sick one. Don't forget standard veterinary care, shelter and food add up as well. If the shelter has paid staff that comes out of that $200 as well. Almost all shelters are charitable organizations that deserve our support.

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Shawn again hit the nail on the head and it's one reason why I run a free banner up top for the STARR folks. One of the advantages of adopting a dog from the shelter is that you can skip the "puppy" stage, lol. My dog, Sally, came from PAWS and was about 18 months old when I got her. She was fixed, house trained, and well past the puppy stage, when we found her at Pets Mart. Another dog we got, our Sheltie, was completely bald from fleas and has turned into one of our best ones. She's the one on the left in the pic I posted with Faith in another thread (shown with her annual summer buzz job). While it's not something I can actually prove, I think dogs that come from a shelter have a bit more appreciation for their new owners too. It just seems like they "know".

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree..to a point...

The only thing that I have an issue with Rescue Orgs, is that its almost harder to adopt a child than to adopt a dog from these Orgs. My wife and I tried to adopt a little dog from our local Pound. The application was an Inch thick and the staff were very arrogant. I know they have to check out the new owners, but because we had taken in a couple of stray cats and weren't able to supply 100% of records for their shots (which since it was a stray, we didn't know if it had all the shots or not and we HAD taken them to the vet after we took them in) They told us that we would never be able to adopt any animal from them. So after receiving this Scarlet Letter, the only choice we had was to buy a pup from a breeder. So we bought a Weiner Dog. And she has all her shots and is very happy with us. I'm not trying to stereotype these Orgs, But I have talked to several people who have been treated the same. And seeing that Austin Put down 3500 Dogs Last year, I would think that a pup would be better off with a Family than Dead. Again I'm not putting down these Rescue groups, I think their purpose is Honorable.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Brad - don't mix rescue groups in with shelters. Their goals are basically the same - find a good "forever home" for their animals. Most rescues are breed specific clubs and if you think getting an animal from a shelter is tough...try getting one from rescue. Some of them want to come for a home inspection before giving up one of their dogs.

I think it's good that they try to find a good home for the animals, but to not give one to you because you didn't vaccinate a stray cat is a bit ridiculous. What shelter was it?

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
I gotta agree with BradC on this...I adopted a Chihuahua mix last year and dealt with several rescue orgs before finding the dog I wanted for my kids. I went theis route because I new there were many homeless dogs out there. However, I must say, at one point during the process, I seriously considered just purchasing a dog or finding a "free to a good home" situation. I felt like I was being vetted for the presidential security detail. It was ridiculous. I realize these people are trying to ultimately whats best for the dogs. However, in my opinion, in many cases they have made it so difficult, people are taking the path of least resistance and just buying a dog. And that ultimately is defeating their purpose. And it really wasn't much cheaper. I paid $80-$85 for my mix breed dog.

Also, earlier this year, my son found a bluetick beagle at a donut shop on a busy road and brought her home. We posted signs everywhere around the area, posted on the internet, etc. Subsequently, the Houston beagle rescue contacted me about the dog. However, they didn't want to take her from me unless I would take her to a vet and have her checked out and given shots so they could get her boarded. Without going into a lot of details, I wasn't in a situation where I could do that. I offered to pay for the shots and keep her for the additional required 72 hrs until they could take her. But, everything I offered, short of paying for everything and persoanlly delivering her to a lady in Humble (which was at least an hour away) was not acceptable. I ended up in a very heated, nasty, verbal exchange with a member of they rescue. Not until I threatened to take the dog to the pound, where she would likely be euthanized, did they agree to come get her. Needless to say, I came away from the experience not wanting to be a good samaritan to any homeless animal in the future.

Realistically, I'm a sucker for animals in need. And will probably rescue the next one I come across. But, it sure was a bad experience. And I'm sure many others, after a similar experience, would just turn the other cheek and leave the animal alone.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I guess I am on acid or something but it seems like everyone is jumping this guys rear for breeding his dog. Last time I checked you could do whatever you wanted to . It would be like someone coming in here and ripping your *** for not using shimano reels and that it was a bad thing to use penn. If the people want to breed the dogs it is their choice and as long as it is not against the law more pwer to them. They could have 300 puppies for all I care. So a couple of you had good results from a shelter well there are probably plenty of others that have not.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts