2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

While I was at work I got a surprising call from the Lake Jackson animal shelter saying they caught my dog roaming around one street over from where I live and she didn't have her collar on. They found my name, address & number from the chip I had put in when she was a puppy. I was surprised she didn't have her collar on because I know she had it when I fed her that morning. I thanked them and said I would be there to pick her up but I was an hour away. She said they were closing up early and I would have to wait for the next day to get her out. The next day I called them and they said I would have to bring proof of a rabies vaccination and it had to be the paperwork not the tag. So I'm thinking no problem I'm digging in the file cabinet and I pull out the rabies paper work and the one I found shows I'm out of date by a month. The wife took her in to the vet the last time to get her shots and to look at a lump she had on her back. Well apparently the rabies shot never got taken care of but they did a minor surgery to remove the lump on her back. I call the LJ Animal Shelter and ask them "what if she is out of date on her rabies vaccination?" They said I have to buy a pre-rabies shot from the vet. So I go buy one and head to the shelter to get my dog out. They said that with her staying over night they were going to have to charge me a fee and I said ok no problem. When they tally it all up I owe them $82.00 and I say ok I pay them the money and they make me sign paperwork saying it's my dog etc. They want me to fill out more paperwork with my address. I get all of that done and she goes to a door looks inside and says "officers I'm done with him". So two women in cop like uniforms come out and say. We are going to issue you a citation. One took my drivers license and walked away and the other told me to remain seated and watched me like a hawk like I was going to make a move or something. The one came back with my DL and said we are writing you two citations that you will have ten days to take care of. One for your dog being loose and the other for your dog not having a collar on. I asked how much they were and one said around $250.00. They make me sign the citation with no fine amounts on it whatsoever before they will give me my dog so of course I sign. Found out later my son slipped her collar off while he was trying to get her to the back yard after she jumped the fence and never put it back on her. So I stew over it for a few days and dip into the money I had in my savings for Christmas to pay this irritating citation. I go to the Lake Jackson courthouse by the PD and they tell me the citations are $270.00. I say I thought they were $250.00. So I spoon out $270.00 and she says. "Where's the rest?" I say, "what?" She says no they are $270.00 each. A total of $540.00. I told her I couldn't pay it because I didn't have near enough. So she said I should set up an appointment to talk with the judge in court. I said I guess I will have to at least try that. So I'm set to go to court to talk to the judge about my case of stupidity on my part. But man WHAT A FINE!!!! :headknock
Dog owners around Lake Jackson beware.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
I would go to court and ask for a jury trial for both charges. When I did that with my old hound, Reba, the prosecutor and I had a quick conversation and we worked out an agreement on things. They really don't want to go to trial, at least around here. It's a money grab, nothing more.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
but yet other peoples cats can come get in my flower bed and take a dump in it every night and walk all over my truck and boat and I cant do anything about it...

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Exactly what Mont said... I'd definitely request a jury trial.

·
Registered
868 Posts
the judge is a Very reasonable guy. Just tell him your story, and hopefully he'll just dismiss it. Seems we have some recent grads from the Academy that are a little over the top.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
but yet other peoples cats can come get in my flower bed and take a dump in it every night and walk all over my truck and boat and I cant do anything about it...
Put a piece of lead in their ear and they will stop that. Love dogs, can't stand cats.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Got to love the City of Enchantment. I would of had to talk to the judge. No way in the world i could afford that kind of money to get my dog out. Thats outrageous!

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
Speak with the DA & Judge in a polite maner Do not confess to anything other than your dog was out, you are sorry & it won't happen again. They might cut a deal you will like. If not, tell them you want a trail by jury. That motivates them to make citations go away. Request the latest posible time on a Friday and watch how sweet the deal is they offer. No one likes to work Friday evens.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Don't you just love Revenue Enhancement. File this awa in the memory banks and next election vote against all of the culprits. If you have to go to trial, make sure all your neighbors are invited. $540 is a lot excessive. Good luck.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Yeah, I would ask for a trial.

My neighbors pit bulls roam the street at all hours, and Pearland Animal Control tells me that unless they bite someone, they cant come and pick them up. :mad:

Once I came home from work, and one of them was tearing through my garbage that was set out that morning. When I tried to shoo him off, he gave me a growl, prompting me to pull out my Kimber. Neighbor saw this, and came running to save his dog. Reported it to the PD, and they just refered back to animal control.:mad:

Neighbor returned and was apologetic, and picked up the garbage, but if that dog had made the wrong move, I imagine I would have gotten some responce from the city.

Im not saying that your dog is like that, he just slipped his collar and jumped the fence. Now your out $500+. Here we have to get bitten before we can get action. Your tax dollars at work.....

·
At the gym
4,704 Posts
That is why I trap them, then take them to the pound.

Funny that there is no more free roaming cats in my yard.

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,208 Posts
to the OP, remember if you lose in a jury trial you will pay the fines and court cost which you may be into this for about $800 to a $1000. good luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
AUF
don't let it get ya down dude. You know as well as the rest of us right now your caught up in the money ringer machine, the police dept.. The could give 2 sh87's less about you or your dog but would give anything to get some $$$CASH$$$ from ya.. Lucky for you the barney fife didn't give ya a good beating while you were waiting on DL to be returned. Remember it can't hurt to go talk to the judge and DA on the matter, not like you do this everyday. good luck!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts