2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hit the Matagorda beach about 2pm Friday. We had purchased a few good sized bait fish and Immediatly yaked them out. After that we began to set up camp and try to get organised to do some real fishing.

Once we had the women shaded an happy, we started throwing out the Sabiki rigs. We caught all manner of fish and began stocking up. after about 45 min of that we noticed some bait fish hitting the surface. We grabbed the cast nets and went to town. On my first cast i coudl not believe what I pulled up. I had a NET full of the BIGGEST shrimp I have EVER seen. The were probably in the order of 5-6 count. I landed net after net full of these and soon had a 5 gallon bucket full. Then I started pulling net fulls of shad. I dont know if it was the casting or trying to pick up the full and heavy nets but eventually my arms couldnt take it aymore.

So down went the casting nets and back to the Sabiki rigs. Little did I know I was about to catch my first shark Ever. Now recall I have my Big pole out in the water with a nice fat fish on it. I keep trying to keep an Eye on it as I am throwing the sabiki out. Well My first shark ever was not what I was expecting it to be. As I am reeling in the sabiki, I get a HARD hit on my SABIKI rig. Hardest fight All day. Now this is with a 16 dollar spinning rod that I bought at wall mart. Rod, reel, line, 16.00. So I fight in god knows what and as it get to the shallows my friend says "ohh a catfish" but then jsu tafter that I see the uinmistakeable tail of a shark. Turns out we were both right. I had two fish, on e was a 10 inch cat with Long stings off its fins and the other was a 12 inch Black tip. He was really cool! Not what I expected for a first shark, but He'll do!

After a bit more sabiki'n I notice my big rod has gone slack. REALLY slack. SO i start to reel in and I dont feel anything. My gut tells me my fish is probably gone. I reel it all in and find a half eaten fish. So I rebait with a good sized mullet caught in the cast net. Yak out again .. man My arms are gettin tired.

I then go back to The sabiki and get my next surprise. ANOTHER small blacktip on the rig! how Cool.. The score is 2-0 now! :) those little sharks sure are cute!

At this point I took a break and relaxed for a while. After a short break again I notice my line is slack on my big rod.I try to re set the weight but the line keeps going slack. Im a bit upset because I REALLY dont feel like yakking out another bait and It dosent feel like there is a fish on there. ANyhow I figure my prongs are bent so I start reeling in and eventually start to feel more resistance. I figure its just seaweed building up But to my surprise there is something on there! Its a 2 and a half foot Black tip! I was awed!

Now I landed him and we go to get him on his way. However we have a problem. THe hook is throught his jaw pretty deep and we find it VERY difficult to get it out.My friend gave it hell and then I did but it wouldnt budge. WE tried cutting it but We didnt have big enough pliers. Another friend who had showed up befor I hooked on tried and managed to get it out. I took the little guy out in the water and moved him around... He seemed to start swimming on hiws own so I shoved him out to sea and he kicked away and disapeared. I thought he was long gone but about 10 min later my friend saw somethign in the surf. Unfortunatly it was him and he didnt look so hot. We motored him around trying to revive him for about 15 min but he was a no-go. little guy wasnt gonna make it. Not to let him go to waste we made a filleted him up and went back to business.

So not bad, Im 3-0 against my friends. I go back to The Sabiki and have more fun. I catch ANOTHER small blacktip on the Sabiki! Unbelievable! This was all in less than 6 hours of arriveing at the beach! My first day was going great! On the sakibis, we begin catching lots of Ribbon fish. These are beautiful creatures with LOTs of teeth. Im havineg a lot of fun with the sabiki. Almost every cast I was catchign SOMETHING. Great fishing. I even break out my fly rod Jus tso I can fight SOMETHING on it. sometime during all this I look over and see my Big line slacked again. I head over to it and try to tighten it up. It tightens and then Goes REALLY slack.Im almost positive something is on it. I get to reeling and shortly after seeing the leader I can see ive hooked another black tip. He is a bit smaller. We work better and get the hook out fast and send him on his way.

Even though they were all small, I dont think 5 sharks in my first day is bad by any means! Great Fun!

One of my firends lands a 2 footer as well so that made 6 sharks for the day. We figure Night will bring more so we eagerly get everything set up for nightfall.

Here is where the trip takes a downward path. IT ws like a B movie "Attack of the minature bloodsnatchers" Ive never seen mosquitos so thick. They were eating us allive... I can safely say that bug spray that is only 10 percent Deet is completely useless. ESPECIALLY when it runs out! Now we are all hurtledun in a Pop up canopy with netting around it. It not perfectly sealed butit helps. We decide to get a fire going to smoke screen ourselves. We built a small fire jsut upwind of the tent. It actually worked really well... One side effect though... burning eyes and headaches Ohh MY! We take all we can stand and then it was off to the tents. I slept in a truck and was quite comfortable UNITL I hear a knock on the window. My friend needs help movieng all our stuff up and out of the water moving into it! yeap that right, we imporperly estimated where high tide was to end and we now find our coolers, some bages and a staked down canopy in the ocean. In the scrable I left the Truck door open. Keep that in mind.

Well we scramble to save as much as we can... being eaten up all the while. It really didnt take long. Im glad to be heading back to the truck but when I get there I see my worst nightmare. The light that automatically comes on when the door is open has atttracted about a GAZILLION mosquitoes! I get in none the less ( planning my attack) and the sound of all of them is deafining! I Go to town on them. About an hour later I have killed most of them. I find sleep difficult and dont get much. FINALLY the sun comes up. Im tired but look forward to another day of great fishing. It wasnt to be.

The morning starts out ruff. I yak out a new bait. As I ge twithing 20 yards of land, My friend RUNS to my rod as it is Singing. Im thinking something has hooked up! Well, yea somethign had hooked up, it was a **** boat that decided the ocean isnt bigenough and he needed to be running along the shore 200 yards out. I was too sore and tired to run another bait out. I got lay down in the shade and fall asleep. a bit later I wake up and go out fishing with the sabiki. Dont really catch too much but DO hook on to a couple of Mackeral(sp?) The day is pretty slow but in early afternoon one of my friends Hooks up and gets a jumper! It ends up being a 4.5 foot blacktip!

We really dont see much after than. We had been chumming all day and it brought in lots of bait fish. WE were littlerally catching 5 gallon BUCKS full of bait fish with EACH cast of the net. AMAZING!

All in all we caught 7 sharks. GOBS of bait and some oddball stuff too...

We decided not we didnt have enough blood to brave another night with the mosquitos. We pack it up and head out before the night.

What a great first trip! I cant wait to do it again!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Great Post. Been there done that with the truck full of mosquitos it's surprising how quick you can kill when the need arises. Add a set of bolt cutters to your gear. You can cut the hook into with them to save a shark ( I know hooks can be expensive) or cut a hook to get one out of yourself or a friend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
surffan said:
Great Post. Been there done that with the truck full of mosquitos it's surprising how quick you can kill when the need arises. Add a set of bolt cutters to your gear. You can cut the hook into with them to save a shark ( I know hooks can be expensive) or cut a hook to get one out of yourself or a friend.
yea for sure, We had a pretty big pair of pliers but we didnt do a test cut. We werent worried abotu the price of hooks, the pliers were jsut too small!

·
On the hunt for Pez Gallo.
597 Posts
keep up the sharkin!!! dont worry about your hooks, they'll fall out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts