2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday morning I was woke up to my husband saying "wake up, it's time to go fishing". Well, any of you that have met my husband and know him, know that my husband very seldom fishes, but he wanted to take me out on our boat. This was a rare treat for me, so I hopped out of bed and started preperations for the trip. Ran to Wally World and grabbed some snacks and drinks and some extra cash for bait and gas, got home, loaded up and launched under the 146 bridge. (can't go far since the trailer isn't legal yet.)

Got her in the water, and after hubby made a few quick adjustments, off we went with a quart of live shrimp in hopes of catching something, anything.
He's got the motor tweaked and adjusted finally to where she'll do about 30 MPH give or take. I don't know what the top speed an 80 HP motor should be, but it's pretty nice when she gets up and planes out. Almost like hovering above the water.
Anyway we went out into Dickinson Bay and the water was like GLASS!! Man it was nice. Hooked a right and followed the channel toward the flood gates. We decided to stop and anchor up in the little cove just north of the Levy and Miller Point. I don't really know where the best area's to fish are, and we don't know the bay that well so we were playing it safe and not going too far. He's already parked us on one shallow spoil area/reef last week when we took her out for a test drive.. LOL What's up with marking those things with white toothpicks that you can hardly see anyway? LMAO!

Anyway, for the first two hours, nothing/nada/zip/zilch.
I asked Hubby if he wanted to move to another location, and he said no, we'll stick it out here. Ok, well I finally hooked into a nice Gafftop and brought it to the boat. I proudly announced the curse has now been broken, and I have christened the boat with SLIME! LOL Well, I was right. Right after that the rod Hubby had out with a popping cork and live shrimp almost went out of the boat! Another boat had just passed us prior and I asked him jokingly if he had hooked into another boat?? LOL Well, it gave up a good fight, Hubby was hoping he had a red, but it turned out to be a NICE keeper sand trout. You should have seen the beaming smile on his face! (Hubby's, not the trout's)
That would end up being the only fish we kept out of the trip, but it was about 18" and FAT! He hooked into several other sandies that we decided were too small and released.
We also caught several hardheads, and some croakers, all released. Then I hooked into something and had no clue WHAT I had.. it was fighting me really weird. All I knew was it was BIG, and HEAVY and kept pulling for the bottom, but not really running. Well Hubby got all excited, grabbed the net and started barking orders.. LOL He was yelling things like "Go Girl! Fight it, let him run, play him, that's it"
Finally Hubby reached in and grabbed the line, pulled it up and my heart stopped! It was a STINGRAY! :ac1090: LMAO! He pulled it in and was dangling it over the boat and I freaked!:eek: "Get that D*** thing back over the water! Are you F****** NUTS!!"
I was afraid it would let go of the hook and be loose in the boat with me!! Well let me tell you, I never caught one before, this was my first, and although I am a female, I can handle mice, rats, most bugs, and several other critters that most females freak about, but I was sure ready to be standing on top of the motor screaming if that thing got loose in my boat!! LMAO!! I snapped a photo of him holding it up, even though I'm the one that caught it.. I wasn't getting near it! LOL
Anyway, he unhooked it and let it go gently back into the water. (I'm shocked because he has been hit by one in the foot before and he HATES stingrays! ALL of them!!)
But he didn't hurt it at all.
All in all it was a good day, we didn't catch much for fish, but it was sure nice to be out on MY boat, and catch something.

Kay :cool:

Attachments

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
kay, glad you got to get her out on the water, and glad you didnt have to touch that stingray. so if you and i are fishing and we catch one of those things, whos going to handle it??? :ac550: :spineyes:

trudy

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well don't look at me!!

I vote we just cut the line like everyone else does! LOL!!

Kay:cool:

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
YO, Kay! You're On The Water And That's Great!

You're doing alot more than most of us. I haven't been "Really" fishin' (as in out of a boat) since...........let's see, when was it?....oh yea, with Aubrey that time along time ago...LOL! Stingrays Smingrays.....keep at it! Sounds like you had a fun outting anyway.

Hope somebody invites you and your family on an offshore trip for a NEW adventure. When it happens, you won't be "messin'" with no small fish anymore - fer sure. Also, when you set the hook on that first big King, you are going to have to try extra hard (like I have to remember to do) in reframing from screaming out certain words. Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to give examples at this time.

Somebody please take this woman out for her first Kingfish! For whatever her part for the gas, food and bait, I will send you a check when I get back to work. Promise. CF? :cop:

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol Cf?!!!

I hear ya on those explatives!! I was shouting a few Saturday with that ray!! LOL That is one thing I do want to do is go offshore fishing. Sooner or later I'll get to. Rick gave me a piece of Amberjack down at access 5 (Sam's Beach) MAN it was AWESOME!!! Like eating the best cut of bluewater prime rib!! I had never had it before. I had my first taste of dolphin (Mahi Mahi) about a month and a half ago. it was awesome too!! I gotta get me some deepwater fish! And a bigger freezer!! LOL

Kay:cool:

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Way to go Kay! Glad to see other women that love to fish. And a boat can make a world of difference! When the fish aren't biting in one spot, you simply move locations. Alot easier and quicker than pier or jetty fishing. I have not had a boat for too terribly long myself. And I've put in my fair share of fishing from a pier, jetty, bank, surf....etc.

It's such a pain to unload everything and start fishing only to find out they're not biting there.........Then having to load it all up, to try another spot, and so on, and so on. Can make for a long day!

I love the freedom now, of simply trolling to another spot. No worries with unloading until you've decided to call it a day!

Now that's not to say, that you won't find me on a pier or wading the surf again. Cuz I still enjoy that too. A boat just adds a new dimension (sp?)to your fishing capabilities.

Thanks for the report, and keep at it. Your big speck and red are right around the corner!!!!!!

Take it easy..........KC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts