2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i wanted to tell the world ---that i am finally going to get to pursue a fish--- i have always wanted to go after my whole life--- i think i hooked one as a young man but all i saw was a silver flash and a break off---this would be a TARPON---I AM SO EXCITED---i got the phone call last night from a friend who said the trip was on for next week end--- we will be goin out the texas city dike and out the galveston jetties if the weather permits----if yall have any sugestions---advice--weather info or just want to bull ****---please do----i have been after my brother to go on this adventure for going on---- ohhhhhhh---16 years ---i think he aint gonna go---so i gona troll with the trollin motor cuz i hear if u use an out board its to loud-- u need an in board---gonna use balloons with shad--- gonna--troll **** pops---and any thing else we can think of to catch this fish on film---and maybe just maybe ull get to se my ugly mug grinnin from ear to ear with a monster-- or hear about the almost got him/her story ----oh u know the one that got away--lol:birthday2

·
Lower Keys ShallowSport Club Members: 1
2,188 Posts
I've heard trolling motors can spook them too. Plus, even on the calmest days it seems like I've had trouble with trolling motors offshore. Better to just drift in my opinion. Then again, I've never caught or jumped one. Just jacks, sharks, and one unknown sea monster that got away. Still lots of fun though. Good luck!

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Yeah, keeping your baits away from sharks and other toothy critters will probably be the biggest challenge. As you probably already know you need a sharp hook and remember to bow to the king when it jumps.

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
shad

haparks said:
4x4 im gonna be at the spill way tomorrow early to get some shad for the coast-- let me know if u can make it---
go to surfside menhadden thick mullet thicker. 1st gut was a show at daybreak. tons of bait. getting anihalated! 0

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
u gettin me goin

the blood is flowin---- i am almost beside my self ---and its only monday--i may have a heart attack by friday--lol--i really appreciate all the info-- has the gulf been flat with any consistancy--- or is there no rhyme or reason---any feeling on how its gonna be this coming week end:fireworks

dbarham said:
go to surfside menhadden thick mullet thicker. 1st gut was a show at daybreak. tons of bait. getting anihalated! 0

·
Registered
511 Posts
Tarpon

Try to find some Coast Hawks... They work very well on Tarpon and I think FTU sells them... I have caught 3 Tarpon and 2 came on the Coast Hawk and the other a drifted shad on a 16/0 Circle Hook... Good Luck!

BTW- Here is a pic of one of the Poons

Speckwrangler

Attachments

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
FTU unlimited has been out of coasthawks on my last few trips there. Ditch the trolling motor just drift. The gulf has been slick as glass the last few weekends. Waht time are you planning on heading out this weekend? I will probably be at the ramp this weekend myself looking for a little blue water. Take LOTS of 16/0 circles because sharks are going to give you hell. MY last tarpon trip i think he couple probably 2 dozen little sharks and donated many hooks to bigger ones.

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i just re spooled 3 of my reels with new line-- 2 days and i leave for my destination----the tarpon nation---i ask my son --every night---what u gonna dream about he says----u daddy dream about big fish and i will dream about small fish---and boy am i dreamin--only time will tell if my dream comes true---

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well my buddies are coming over tonight to give my boat the once over make shure they are happy and every thing is ship shape----i got the batteries charged--but i have so many rods and reels i cant make up my mind--if i take all i want there will be no room for my buddys stuff--oh well---lol--i wanted to thank every one for all the pms and say that 2 coolers say they wont share there most valued fishing info--- but they do and are very thoughtful of there fellow fisherman---i promised not to divulge what the info was or who they are-- but u know who u are and i want u to know u are very much appreciated-- i hope to see all yall on the water this week end and give ya a big wave and howdy-- dont worry i dont mind if ya fish near by--just be quiet so not to spook the fish--- and then yell real loud when u hook one so i will know whats goin on---cuz you will hear me-- i will be the fool yellin---lol---see ya there---

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my digital camera is history i gota get a throw away and then scanum into the computor and then postum-- i have never done it this way i hope it works---i will try and bore every one with all the pics--thanks i am so excited im about to bust-- its thursday and i want it to be sat at 1 am drivin to galveston already makin up stories--lol

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Good Luck!

haparks said:
my digital camera is history i gota get a throw away and then scanum into the computor and then postum-- i have never done it this way i hope it works---i will try and bore every one with all the pics--thanks i am so excited im about to bust-- its thursday and i want it to be sat at 1 am drivin to galveston already makin up stories--lol
Good Luck! Hope your trip exceeds your wildest expectations!

Mark

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank ya da---i hope it does also--i just so excited--and hope i dont loose my head and forget some minute detail that can mean success of failure-- but its hard to fail when ya havin fun and that what its all about even if i do not hook one but i gonna try like thewre is no tomorrow----

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i was fibin-- i found out we will be launchin near the ferry on galveston i have never launched from there but well see- then sunday we will be launchin from bolivar im told but i thought we would be goin out texas city dike but i guess not since my buddies are payin for all fuel i goin along with it--we gona catch the big one i hope --- aprox 24 hours and ill be on my way to paridise-- (the gulf)---some of yall may take it for granted cuz u live so close but this is a treasure for me--no disrespect--hope to see ya on the water

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i checked bouy weather .com and it looks like we gona be under a foot of wave height on sat and around a foot to a foot and a half sunday--i guess im a lucky dog--- cuz the weather looks like its going to cooperate---does any one have any suggestions on where to catch bait in my throw net as we come into galveston--or recomend any bait shops to buy live bait on the way to the launch near the ferry--since i have never launched there----also is there any live bait shops in bolivar

1 - 20 of 20 Posts