2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Blue Lacey because I am sick and tired of spending so much time looking for everyone's wounded deer on our ranch. Under our mangagement plan we kill a lot of deer so naturally there are going to be deer that are hit poorly and need some tracking on.

Scout is will be 1 year old January 29th and I have already lost count of how many successfull trails she has done. It's getting close to 20. I put her on everyone I can even the easy ones. I bow hunt so I just leave her in the truck and after I shoot I go get her and let her find it. She has already done several long trails though that we would probably not have recovered with out her assistance. When you put a dog on a wounded deer it is amazing how fast the deer runs out of steam.

I love hunting with dogs. This is my first deer dog and I'm hooked. When your dog is in hot pursuit it is like your duck dog making a long blind retrieve or your quail dog finding a bunch of coveys of quail.

Here are some pictures I took of her last week on a 100 trail with no visable blood on the ground with a buck I shot with my bow.

Attachments

·
"Happiness is a tight koozie"
200 Posts
Beautiful dog! I bet you could make a buck assisting deer hunters retieve lost deer.

Nice to know that you'll never lose a deer again...:brew:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Good looking dog! I too have a Lacy (8 mo old) and it is amazing how they can track even if it has rained or if a lot of time has passed.

Just a tip I have figured out this year; if you plan to start finding other peoples deer you better get her used to tracking through tromped up trails. Seems every call I get there has bee 10 people tromping around for a couple of hours before they call :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 1.5 yr old Blue Lacy, male. He is the best dog i have ever owned. Takes up a blood trail immediately. Will not own any other dog. Your dog looks just like ours.

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
I have gotten to where I enjoy running a track with my dogs just as much as I enjoy hunting. The one's I have now are the first Lacy dogs I have had, and I am hooked, will be nothing else in my future. If you ever think about breeding get in touch with me, I may have a male that will work, or at the very least I would be interested in the puppies.

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
By the way, that Garmin Astro is worth the money...

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
I used a JR on several deer the last cpl of yrs, I keep him on a leash cuz he wont bark when he finds the deer. I'ts against the law here to use a dog in any manner with deer, but I'm not gonna loose a deer either. How did you start yours on deer, if theres a spot of blood my JR will take to it....WW

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
I start all my puppies with deer liver. Just tie a string to it, and drag it around. Progressively make it more and more complicated, start leaving voids in the track, etc.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Mine just absolutly LOVES blood and a deers tounge, thats the first thing I do is cut it off and thro away when it not looking, if I dont he'l rip it out...WW

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I want a shed hunting dog! I wonder if he can find sheds with that nose. Early April is just around the corner. I been letting my dog play and chew some old sheds and I been hiding some in the yard. I am gonna try her out on them in April. It would be cool to have a tracker and a shed finder combination dog.

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
When your dog is in hot pursuit it is like your duck dog making a long blind retrieve or your quail dog finding a bunch of coveys of quail.
Excellent Chad. There is no better exercise for training a young deer dog than live tracks. Sounds like your well on your way to owning a valuable hunting tool.

Only thing I would add in your analogy would be the satifaction of baying up a hog by your strike dog...:)

·
slap ya mama
1,919 Posts
I have a blackmouth cur and she seemed to run in circles this past weekend..1 yr old...one problem is that there was no blood? Friend said "he layed a deer over and it bellered and then got up and ran off". ?????...it was early and he hadn't been drinking yet or i wouldn't have believed him....never found the deer.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because I have access to so many real trails, that is all I have trained her on. I shot a doe with my bow opening day October 3rd when she was 8 months old. She was very interested in the trail, but I still had to go along with her. That was it she found the next two by herself, a 20 yard trail and a 100 yard trail. The following weekend she did a 250 yard trail on a buck hit a little bit back with a bow.

Her farthest trail was over a mile on a deer hit in the hind leg with a .25-06. The one thing she has not learned to do is stay on the trail on a long trail. She gets out 400 yards or so then checks back to me I guess to make sure I'm still there then turns around and pursues again. I hope she grows out of this insecurity as she gets older. The leg shot was a perfect training excersise. I believe we would have eventually tired the deer down, but to speed things up my dad got ahead of us and shot him again as he crossed a roller chopped area. When she caught up to him he was down but still moving which was great. When he shot we were about 150 yards behind the deer but could not see it for all of the brush.

The garmin caller is a definite must. It is worth it's weight in gold.

The only other thing I hope she improves on is her night tracking. She does not like to get to far ahead of me in the dark.

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
Range and confidence will come with age, there's no doubt. The very best dogs I've hunted behind were 4+ years old. Lots to look forward to when you see promise in young dogs.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I totally agree TexasJ. She does everything I expect of her and more for an 11 month old puppy. I know my lab who is now almost 11 didn't start to become an awesome retreiver until she was 3 or 4 years old. The way Scout is trailing deer at such a young age really gets me excited about her future abilities as she matures.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have had Lacy dogs that are trackers for several years. They are incredible dogs. The one piece of advice I could offer is DONT let them start running "live" tracks. If there is no blood teach them to come back to you.
I learned this the hard way. They have such an instinct to catch something. If they start on a blood trail and the blood quits it is so tempting for them to strike up a fresh hog track and continue on with the fun...
Make them come back to you, go to where the blood stopped and concentrate their noses in that area until they pick it up again.
It is something I work on constantly with my dogs. If you allow them run "live" tracks they are hard to control.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I hunt with and train (amateur) hunting retrievers and was just wondering out of curiosity if they're was a professional trainer that specializes in Deer tracking dogs?

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
I hunt with and train (amateur) hunting retrievers and was just wondering out of curiosity if they're was a professional trainer that specializes in Deer tracking dogs?
I don't know of any specific trainers but I do know that Marlo Riley puts together these training seminars / field trials. She is an extradordinary woman and she's also pretty much the sole reason the lacy dog became the State Dog of Texas. Here's the link...http://lacydog.com/files/folders/events/entry24740.aspx

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
I'm not a professional by any means, but I have started quite a few young dogs for myself, and here lately for other people. Next year I should have some started pups for sale. If I can be of any help, or if you have any questions send me a PM, or ask open forum...if I know the answer I will tell you, if I don't, I may be able to send you in the right direction.

As far as "live" tracks I'm going to have to agree with jetlag...I haven't had much problem with my dogs leaving a track for other game, just the opposite I've had healthy deer cross the track right in front of my dogs without the dogs giving them more than a passing glance/sniff. I think the reason for that is that they are so tuned into the blood of it from all the hand lain tracks they ran as pups. When I hear my gyp strike I can pretty much assure the hunter we are on their deer, because the only two things in this world that she barks at are bloody deer, and armadillos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts