2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the hectic scramble to get the deer stand in place earlier in the week I wasn't so sure how things would work out. I was afraid all of the commotion in the area on Tuesday might have screwed it up for a few days, but we were committed to making a go of it.

We arrived at the property Friday evening in a tropical downpour. It was raining so dang hard we just napped in the truck until it let up around 11pm. The alarm went off and Erin was up and ready in minutes. To say the least, she was pumped.

As we walked up to the stand I saw fresh deer tracks all along the way and up to within a few yards of the stand. So much for the thought that the deer wouldn't like the new condo going up in their neighborhood.

As the sun came up the deer started moving. Three does followed closely by a young buck. The buck cut one of the does from the herd and the chase was on. The other two does circled wide and went to the feeder. I had told her she could shoot whatever she wanted, but she had her heart set on getting a good buck and had picked out a couple from the game cam pics that she was willing to wait on...for a while.

The does ate for a good while and then walked right by the stand headed to the pond for a drink. The buck and doe chase was visible off and on for an hour or so. Then a huge fat doe showed up and her thoughts turned from horns to back strap. She was a bit torn, but decided to take the doe. The doe was having none of it. For a good 2i0 minutes she wouldn't present a shot. Erin was staring through the scope waiting somewhat patiently when I noticed horns coming through the brush. The doe turned sideways to look at the buck and Erin says, "I'm going to take her." I replied, "Don't shoot, don't shoot." I glance at her and she's looking at me like I'm crazy. "There's a buck coming." Back to the scope. She locates the buck and he hangs up in the brush as the doe runs off. He doesn't follow and won't leave the cover of the brush. He's on my game camera for 12 minutes as he's standing a few feet from my bow stand. It seemed like an hour!

Finally he starts moving across an opening in front of us. She's on him, but he's trotting in the direction the doe had left. I told her to stay on him and wait til he paused. I whistled twice and he never slowed down. Just as he's about to disappear I'm getting that sinking feeling and hear BOOM! I see him hunch up and go into the brush. I covered the exits and never saw him. She says she saw the crosshairs right where they were supposed to be as she squeezed the trigger. I explained to her the process of waiting him out since we hadn't seen him fall. It was intense.

http://tinypic.com/r/25fk42d/6]View My Video

After 15 minutes we crawl out of the stand and head to the point of the shot. I notice a small piece of lung on the ground, but no deer. We walk in the direction he was headed. No blood. As I got to the next opening I had her look back at the stand which was visible from this spot. He obviously didn't go this way. We back up to the only area not visible from the stand, peer over a bush and there lies her trophy. He hadn't gone more than a 10 yards.

Hugs, fist bumps and smiles. Priceless.

Sorry this is sideways, but I can't figure out how to flip it and I have to share the moment.

http://tinypic.com/r/24fi7w7/6]View My Video

Upon gutting the deer I showed her the heart/lungs and her bullet path. Both lungs were completely collapsed and the top of the heart was missing. Very proud of her shot placement. We had been looking at deer cam pics for several days with her pointing to the spot she should shoot at different angles, but in the excitement of the moment I was just hoping she had been able to remember the lessons. She did.

But the coolest part was that during the field dressing I glance up and she doesn't seem too happy. I told her she could wait in the truck if it was bothering her. Nope, she was irritated that I was doing the work. She says, "I shot it, I should be taking care of it. From this point on all I want is for you to tell me what to do." I hadn't even considered that, I just got started doing what I do. She wants to be able to handle her own deer if she gets to go hunting with somebody else. Cool.

We get to camp and get him hung up. She then proceeds to skin and quarter HER deer without me even touching a knife. All I did was talk her through it. That kiddo got more meat off that deer than most of the grown men I've hunted with. She even popped the joints and removed the head with only her knife Poor buzzards barely got a snack.

Speaking of buzzrds, here's a hillarious moment. Apparently with our new stand being the tallest thing in the area the buzzards have become fond of using it for a resting place. Sunday morning I was staring at a doe and scanning the brush for a buck when Erin starts hitting me on the leg. Her eyes were wide and she was pointing over my other shoulder. I figured it was a deer. Nope. A dadgum buzzard was on the glide straight at my window. It pulled up at the last second to land on the roof. A couple minutes later two more arrive. Some folks hate spiders, others hate snakes. Erin hates big birds. Don't know why but chickens, turkeys, geese, etc make her nervous. Buzzards on the roof walking around and talking to each other about pushed her over the edge.

http://tinypic.com/r/2hncepi/6]View My Video

The rest of the weekend we sat in the stand talking and watching a lot of deer. None were bigger than what she had already shot and the does were with yearlings. She never even raised the rifle or considered taking a shot while commenting on the potential of the young bucks and wishing out loud for a mature doe to come out without yearlings. She sounded like a veteran hunter.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but after the deer stand building thread I felt like a bunch of you guys were out there pulling for her and I wanted you to be able to share the experience.

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
Very,VERY cool! Congratulations to the young lady on a fine harvest (and shot placement). Congrats to you also DAD, for making it possible. Memories for life for sure!!!

·
What you missed!!
123 Posts
Congrats to both of you and I showed my daughter your post for inspiration thanks. She quickly resonded when are we leaving again. ; )

·
Wish the hull of my boat was wet!
10,861 Posts
Congrats to you both!

·
Whatwake
1,555 Posts
Thats is awesome!! Heads up on the buzzards, they ruined 2 stands that they decided to nest in and use as a resting point.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I couldn't have been more proud of her throughout the weekend. She was an awesome hunting partner. It really made me smile when she didn't even reach for her gun on this young 8 Sunday morning.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
fantastic. Congratulations to both of you. It is refreshing to hear of a young hunter, especially a young lady, that wants to learn how to clean a deer. She will make some fellow a great wife. NO let me rephraze that, Some young fellow will be lucky to find such a tallented lady.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now her older sister is on me to take her out next. And mom wants her turn. Can I pull it off three times???

She hunted with me a couple times in the past, but never really got interested. We'll see how it goes.

·
1,193 Posts
That's what it is all about. the smille tells it all. congrats

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
Can I pull it off three times???
Wer'e pulling for you, Scott! ....maybe you better wait until you get daughter#1 and Mrs. let's go,to fill a tag before you start looking for one yourself...lol......A small price to pay I'm sure. It's great that they have an interest in the outdoors. Your'e a blessed man,,,,,,,,,,Jim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts