2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
<***********>< Fish on.
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days before Thanksgiving I am hunting a box blind located by a pine thicket that is mixed in a wooded area with scattered large oaks. I had seen two small 8 pointers and one good cull 5 who was wide, at least 5.5, and had white antlers.

Around 7:30am on the 24th, I notice a doe making her way through a thicket and a buck is hot on her tail. In front of my stand is a 150 yard shooting lane that has been cut, the doe steps out into the lane at about 140 yards and looks at me. I think to myself that "if the buck does the same and he is wide enough I may shoot". Well, he stepped out, stopped in the same spot that she did, took the same glance toward my stand, and I shot.

When I shot I saw a splash of water underneath him and thought that I had missed. So I take my bino's and begin to scour the thicket. I see a twitching tail that begins to sway, then fall.

This is the best deer I have taken. He is 19" wide inside and I am guessing will score around 130.

I also killed a cull buck with my bow two days later. That write up is in the bow section.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
Nice buck there bud, I like the wide racks.

Congrats on the bow kill as well. I had a great young 8 come by me at a friends place unfortunately he was at 52yds and my limit for deer is 25, so he got a pass by me. Can't say the neighbors will be so friendly but we're hopefull.

·
Pass The Buck
682 Posts
Sweet! I love it when you only have that split second to make the shoot or not shoot decision.... and there is NO ground shrinkage, nice!

·
Headhunter...Fishhunter.. .Deerhunter...
1,586 Posts
Shot one just like that two years ago.. love wide bucks, mine went 21 and scored 131

1 - 8 of 8 Posts