2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They will be here in about 6 or 7 weeks from their wintering grounds in Brazil,,,,,,,,I sure am getting anxious.

Purple Martins for those of you who are not familiar with this member of the Swallow Family.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know you get a big kick out of those Purple Martins. My dad sure enjoyed the years he kept a house up in the back yard.

I was wondering if it's too late to put up a house for this year. If I remember correctly, it seems that adult scouts come a little early looking for future nest sites. Is that true?

I have a 50 foot tower that I use for amateur radio antennas, but don't have anything up on it right now. Could I use it for putting up a house or two? And how high do you recommend? Thanks. tcdave

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Early Scouts arrive the last week of January and new birds will continue into April,,,you have lots of time,new colonies don't usually start forming up until mid march,,,,,,,,,12 foot minimum & 16 foot maximum on height,,,,,,,put up housing similar to housing being used in your area,make sure you have open flyways in and out ,try to keep housing within 15 to 25 feet of single story structures (yes I do mean with in,they like the security man made structures provide for protection from predators )and no closer that 20 feet to trees.
Tho you do have time ,getting housing up early is a plus,plug entry holes with plastic grocery sacs to keep sparrows and starlings out until you see signs of PM's.

Holler if you have more questions.

dick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts