2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I went hunting with Don Koenig out of Bandera this morning. I promised a report of the hunt for those that were interested in a reasonably priced axis hunt. My brother and I are very pleased. Don is a fine guide and the land he and his father own have some nice animals on it. All told it is over 500 acres, it is high fenced to keep the axis in but they are not hand fed or tame by any means. I don't know if there are any monster silver or gold medal bucks on the place (didn't see any) but these 2 are representative of what we did see. For being our first time to hunt axis, we are happy. My brother is the one in fatigues. Mine had 30" beams with an inside spread of 28". His had the same spread but a bit more mass to the beams and an extra half inch in length. The brow tines on mine were a bit better, and he was a fair bit heavier (kinda, uh like me I guess). We are both having wall pedastal mounts done by Jet's Taxidermy in Kerrville. As I said, the bucks might not be monsters - but they aren't bad either. And for the price, I haven't found anything better - $750. Don can be reached at this email address:
[email protected]

Sometimes his mail server seems to be on the blink. If you'd like his phone number just PM me. This isn't a hunting service or anything like that per se. Don and his father are the owners of the land. The axis have not been hunted in some time and they are thinning the heard.

Again we were very happy with the hunt, Don is very professional and personable - and there was alot of wildlife for my son to watch. Hunting styles can be suited to meet your likes - blinds, spot and stalk, or safari style from a jeep.

Earl

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
Acouple of nice axis for the a decent price looks like you had a great time and some good eating there. Congradulations.

·
I can't see the Rockies from here !!
4,319 Posts
That's two fine looking axis bucks. I've never got to hunt axis bucks
but those both look like fine trophys to me. Well done fellas
Later Baker

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
Congradulations on the great looking axis. I am sure they will look fine on the wall. That will be a memory of a life time for you and your brother. Thats a great price for a 30" buck. You done good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts