2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I iterated in a previous thread, I've hunted deer in Texas for 43 yrs and in that time have killed ALOT of deer. I also helped a fellow manage his Mule Deer in the Trans Pecos. Needless to say deer hunting has been the centerpiece of my avocations and I feel sad about the current situation dicuussed in a previous thread.
My answer is sight fishing with a flyrod to tailing fish ( Bones, Reds, etc.) You have to "hunt" them, then get them to eat the fly and you get to turn them loose when you' caught them!
I don't think that GOD and the State of Texas are going to go up on my lease price!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Some people seem to take threads to far with comments, I do agree with you I started the landowner thread and I am close to going to fishing and fly fishing is so relaxing. You get the same thrill when the strike happens as you do when a deer steps out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seeing a pod of Redfish tailing or a school of Bonefish cruising is just about as much fun as seeing a herd of Mule Deer.

The best part is you can turn them loose after you play with them. And, I've never known a trout( Brown,Brook or Rainbow),Bonefish, Permit,Redfish or Tarpon that lived in an ugly place!!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm with you N-80. I still have my deer lease, but stalking trophy trout or reds in 8" of water, and then having one of them blow up on a top water is not for the weak of heart. I'll continue to hunt as long as it is reasonable. If I have to choose between them, the deer lease will have to go.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Shallowminded", thanks for your thoughts. I too will keep shooting deer but only culling and training my Catahoula blood dog. There's something about stalking fish with a flyrod that "sets ya free"!

·
Big Shot Spicy Man
221 Posts
NW80, that sounds sweet, I got a brand new flyrod and riggin for Christmas last year and still haven't learned to use it.....being a southern boy---flyrods have always been the domain of others...but I'm ready to give it a shot......I'll be practicing in the backyard later when the rain stops!!!

·
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92
1991 ShallowSport Sport 20
1,045 Posts
Obviously you've never caught a redfish at Lake Colorado City.........LOL
NW80 said:
Seeing a pod of Redfish tailing or a school of Bonefish cruising is just about as much fun as seeing a herd of Mule Deer.

The best part is you can turn them loose after you play with them. And, I've never known a trout( Brown,Brook or Rainbow),Bonefish, Permit,Redfish or Tarpon that lived in an ugly place!!

·
Tight Lines to All!!!
308 Posts
Lifetime License

I purchased my lifetime license this year. It is probably one of the best longterm hunting/fishing investments I could have made. The prices are going to always go up. Right not, the license cost is $1000, quite a chunk of money. However, if you plan on fishing for more than 13 years, it pays for itself at current prices. Remember that the price will only go up. I will purchase one for my kids when I am some. I would have already paid for the lifetime license by now with all the ones I have bought every year. Just a thought. How many people out there have lifetimes?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts